Upgrading Mex. Tele

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading my Mex. tele PUPS with something better. I'm pretty lost in terms of where to begin looking at Pickups. I haven't really played many other guitars, so I don't have a good point of reference for what I want. Like with most musical gear, more expensive doesn't equal "best," and with PUPS, I imagine there is a lot of subjective preference. I'd like to get some more punch from the neck PUP. Something humbucker-y?

How can I figure out whats best for me? Is trying out the pickups on more expensive/re-issue tele's a good start? Go by reputation and agreed upon subjective characteristics? What'd you guys do?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd start by looking around the pickup makers' sites and try to find sound samples. Don't just go to the major names, like Seymour Duncan, visit the lesser known names, like bill lawrence or kent armstrong.

Remember, though, that the pickup is only one link in your sound chain and the samples may not reflect your particular set-up. Are you sure that it is the pickup that is not performing as you'd like and not other links in the chain?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Agree on the check various manufacturers, but will say the Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pups in my Lite Ash Tele are very nice -- much nicer than the Fatboy Alnico Guitar Fetish pups I bought for another Tele. Based on my experience with them, would again consider upgrading Tele with the SD Alnico 2 Pros.

If you go with Bill Lawrence, make sure you really are buying from Bill Lawrence -- talk directly to the man himself. His original company (Lawrence) is now owned by someone else, and he has disavowed it. Bill Lawrence advertizes in Vintage Guitar magazine.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Agree on the check various manufacturers, but will say the Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pups in my Lite Ash Tele are very nice -- much nicer than the Fatboy Alnico Guitar Fetish pups I bought for another Tele. Based on my experience with them, would again consider upgrading Tele with the SD Alnico 2 Pros.

If you go with Bill Lawrence, make sure you really are buying from Bill Lawrence -- talk directly to the man himself. His original company (Lawrence) is now owned by someone else, and he has disavowed it. Bill Lawrence advertizes in Vintage Guitar magazine.

Yes, they were originally partners, but fell out. "Bill Lawrence" sells the L-500 and Keystone pickups
http://www.billlawrence.com/

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Do you mean my amp, or other aspects of the guitar itself (wood, neck, bridge, saddle, etc.) that may be effeecting my tone? I have a Blues Jr. amp which is pretty new (not gonna upgrade amp for a while), and as far as the guitar itself, nothing is broken or malfunctioning, so I wouldn't know where to begin...The tele doesn't sound BAD, I just want it to sound better so I can hang onto it and play it for a while without buying a whole new git. That may be the best option though...I haven't played more expensive teles, so who know what I'm missing! (like neck feel, PUPS, etc.)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I haven't played more expensive teles, so who know what I'm missing! (like neck feel, PUPS, etc.)

Go and play them then. Try out a bunch of different tele models and tele clones and figure out what you like about them compared to your current guitar and maybe what you like about yours compared to them. If you still want to upgrade then compare the cost of adding whatever upgrades you want versus the cost of buying something closer to your end goal (either unmodified or perhaps with fewer mods than you would need to your current guitar). Which way is cheaper? Do you get other benefits buy buying a different / better model?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Your equipment sounds fine -- certainly it's "giggable," as many of us use the same for performing. The Blues Junior in particular is a real fave among us.

How long have you been playing? If not long, you should read this thread on tone:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39456

If you haven't already, you will learn to create many tonal qualities with your fingers.

Back to pups: One reason I like the SD Alnico 2 Pro pups is the nice attack on the neck pup -- the Tele spank really comes through. But that neck pup is NOT hot (loud) -- it's about tone. If I want volume, I turn up my amp. If you really want punch -- meaning volume and midrange ooomph (not really a Tele characteristic) directly from the guitar, you could replace your neck pup with something like a stacked humbucker or side-by-side (e.g., Duncan JB Junior), both of which are in single-coil form factor. If you are willing and able to route the body for a soapbar shaped pup, a very punchy pup is a P90. Almost all major makers produce a version of the P90 (originally a Gibson pup). There is a small group of P90-lovers here at GN. I have several guitars with P90s -- all a bit different tonally, as they are different brands of P90. One of those guitars is a Tele. The P90 makes it sounds like a cross between a spanking Tele and and more midrange-heavy SG or LP Junior -- works for me either clean or raunchy! It's one of my favorite guitars.

... or you should go a much simpler route and buy yourself an overdrive pedal, such as a Tubescreamer or the many clones. This will help you go anywhere from boosting level and thickening your tone to heavily distorting.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote