Notifications
Clear all

very high pitched sound

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@curtman117)
Topic starter  

There is this very high pitched, unpleasant sound when I just tap the guitar body just enough to make some noise on the amp it usually happens a couple seconds after I tap it and it will continue making that sound untill I touch one of the strings. And this also happens sometimes after I take my fingers off the strings and just leave that note I played ringing.... Then that sound appears. If anyone can help me that would be awsome. Thanks!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

what kind of guitar is it? i'd like to say it's a string vibrating at a harmonic node, the same way it would if you pluck a harmonic, but if it's a hollow body, it might be something else.

ReplyQuote
(@curtman117)
Topic starter  

I don't know what kind of guitar it is cuz I just got it as a present for my birthday the other day. But I know for sure it's not a hollowbody. I tried all the harmonic notes and it sounds EXACTLY like the harmonic note on the first string, and kinda the second string... I can't really tell. we might be onto something here! :D

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I really haven't got a handle on this problem yet, I'm not even sure exactly what is happening, or the precise nature of the trouble.

But anyhow, you might look at the height of your pickup(s) and see if one or any of them are too high, and lower it a bit using screw adjustment provided. Counterclockwise.

I only offer this as a solution since I don't know what is going on to produce that noise, but I know that a high pickup can make a string sound 'off' in its magnetic field - makes a warbling sound.

I have also heard loose truss rods inside the neck make that noise. If loose, it is possible for them to vibrate and make sound. But check pickup height first. Determine which pickup is being used when it happens if you have more than one.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i thought that, too, at first, but i don't think a pickup would cause a harmonic to ring out.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like feedback to me.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Seems to happen a second or so after whatever is causing it. Sounds exactly like feedback to me.

Take a few steps away from the amp. Turn the amp away from you/the guitar. If it doesn't do it anymore, it was feedback.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with feedback, but you don't want it when you don't want it...

Ande

ReplyQuote