Clear all

Vox vs Crybaby

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Some opinions please, if oyu will. I'm getting a Wah pedal. I have it down to the regular classix VOX versus the Crybaby Classic. Both aer $100, both have the fasal inductor (or so i was told) but Guitar Cente rhad neitherr in stock so I wasn't able to play one or the other.

I understand the Vox pedal will stay where you leave it when it's switched on. Will the crybaby do that? I'd really like to get the Vox, but it runs on battery and that's not good. If I got the crrybaby I can plug it into my new pedal board.

So, opinions on these 2 pedals?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A wah pedal will use virtually no electricity at all. A single battery will last you MONTHS.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I love the vox, the battery isnt that big of a dealas long as you remove the cable after your done using it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@smackedbygodsmack)

Yeah I have a cry baby and I am a wah addict...ive never tried a Vox, but with the Crybaby u can use a single 9v battery or plug it into the wall with an adaptor....batteries work fine as long as u unplug the cable from the instrument jack when ur done. But if you dont ever unplug that, the wah gets very weak with time. Make sure you always have a powerful battery and youll fall in love with ur sound

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

From what I read, the VOX pedals don't suck your tone like the Dunlop ones. Though, it seems the VOX pedal is be less durable. There's that problem with the switch sticking. I'ed have to play them myself, but you can go check out the reviews on harmony central.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I have an older Crybaby which didn't have the adapter jack so I got a bag of these

from a Radio shack, got an AC adapter, cut the plug off the adapter and soldered the 9v connecter on it. Then I ran the battery connecter out of the Crybaby between the base and the cover and plugged both connecters together. You can probably do the same thing with the Vox.

The reason I went through all this is because I wanted the Crybaby permanently mounted on a pedalboard and didn't want to have to undo everything everytime I had to change the battery.

A little ugly, but it's worked for 20 years or so.

If I needed another, I'd get the Vox because that's what I originally wanted. They stopped making them for awhile though, so I had to go with the Crybaby.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The guy at guitar center said the Vox pedal i wanted didnt run off AC...battery only. I remember Wes saying he had a Vox pedal and loved it. But if the crybaby does suck tone, then i'd get the Vox no matter what, I think.

Actually I just had a realization. My pedal board came with an AC to 9-volt adapter.

I am planning to try them both again before I buy, of course, but that makes the Vox just a little more appealing, considering ive heard good things about them and they do look relatively well-made andn rugged. Unfortunately, I won't be in the vacinity of a Guitar Center (i have a gift card) for at least a month so this will have to wait. I can't get away from student teaching to drive all the way back to philly just for a wah pedal.

Oh well, i'll let you all know when i get it.

And thanks for the input

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

The more expensive VOX wah has a power adapter capability, though, you'd have to save up 50 bucks more...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/151688/

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

They both suck tone, although the CB is far worse. Really a MAJOR downside to the CB, although there are many people who did a true bypass mod with great results.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I own the Vox V847 and the Dunlop Original Crybaby ($70 model). I like them both, but I think the Vox sounds much better. It has a greater range from high to low and just sounds cleaner IMHO. I don't know about the more expensive Dunlop.

I can say this, the Vox is built like a tank. I think it is more rugged than the Dunlop.

Batteries last a long time in a Wah as long as you unplug the Instrument jack on the pedal. But you could do what DemoEtc suggested.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

You should try a Snarling Dogs Wah. It's got a true bypass switch, a longer sweep, and 3 different wah modes. Mine's about 7 years old, but it looks like the modern version has an additional clean/dirty switch. It's a very versatile wah with a lot of great sounds. It gets a lot of comments too.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Oh man... I just looked into some other Snarling Dogs pedals, and that Blues Bawls is the answer to all my prayers - an overdrive pedal and a kick-@ss wah pedal built into one for a shade above $100. I think MusiciansFriend is getting a nice order from me soon...

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, but you just HAVE to play it barefoot!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Yeah, i guess that'd be the only way to do it justice... :P

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

I have an old crybabv and I friend of mine has an old VOX. When we jam we often trade wah's. Seems like he likes the crybaby better and I like the VOX better. The grass is always greener I guess. The crybaby feels like it is alot sturdier because it's made out of cast metal or something, I guess the VOX would be alot easier to crush. To me the VOX seems better, more versitile. I haven't ever tried one of those Snarling Dogs though. I'll have to check 'em out.

One time we were recording and had the mic right next to the crybaby, but the hinge was squeaking on the pedal. So there was this squeaking noise like bedsprings going with the beat. We listened to the tape, and it sounded funky as hell. Sometimes the coolest stuff happens on accident.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2