What a difference h...

Notifications
Clear all

What a difference humbuckers make!

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I was just practicing a little AC/DC Hells Bells with my Agile and I got the tone just about perfect in my V-Amp. Sounds almost like Angus' guitar! (I just wish I could play like him!). For the heck of it I decided to plug my Behringer into the V-Amp with the same settings. I didn't even recognize the sound! It sounded hollow/empty! Now of course I could tweak the setting to make it sound fuller but I never thought that there were that much of a differnce between humbuckers and single coil pickups! The Agile has a VERY full sound and its VERY crisp!

I guess they really are suited for different purposes.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. And there's another big difference with P-90s, though they sound more like humbuckers than Fender single coils.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

This is good news! Looking forward to getting my les paul next week.

New toys are kool. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Hey, ricochet, Im thinking about getitng the 3 p90 agile LP, and I know you own it. Can you tell me your opinions on this guitar?

Also, can you explain where p90s fall in the sound range between humbucker and single coil. I heard it gives you a more distoreted sound than a single coil, but not the range of a HB. Except that the p90 is more prone to humming, much more than fender single coils.

Can you clarify any of this?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd say P-90s give a broader range than most humbuckers. They have a bit more treble "bite." Their peak is in the midrange, lower than Fender-type single coils. You can get a "quack" out of them as you can with the Fender single coils, but it's a deeper toned "quack." They do hum like crazy, because they're such "hot" pickups. When you've got a lot of inductance you pick up stray magnetic fields very easily. Most current P-90 equipped guitars will have a pair that's got one reverse-polarized and reverse-wound so they cancel hum when they're switched together. On the triple P-90 2500 it's the bridge and middle pickups that are together in parallel on the middle switch position. There's not a position for the middle pickup by itself.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i think givson makes nice budget guitars which sound tremendous (n they r already fat strats copies
)
8)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I don't think there is such thing as a gibson budget guitar, as their cheapest model is $1000

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I don't think there is such thing as a gibson budget guitar, as their cheapest model is $1000

Actually they do make budget guitars but they called them Epiphones

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Actually I checked and givson guitars do exist.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Actually they do make budget guitars but they called them Epiphones

I mean, with the gibson logo on them.

Just for fun, the new eric clapton crossroads 335 is on sale for $11,000.
Talk about budget guitars

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not true. One can find lower end LPs and SGs in the "faded finish" line for about $600 and up. Even, non-faded versions are available in the $650 - $900 range.

This will not sound terribly sexy or cool, but a LP junior with a single dogear P90 @ $650 is a great, hard rocking guitar. An upscale variant is the LP faded double-cutaway (2 P90s) at $730.

I have played some of these lower end Gibbies, and they do deliver the tone. Now my standard Gibson disclaimer: Don't buy a Gibson unless you are able to inspect it and play it. There is too much quality variation in the Gibson line, and mail order is a real roll of the dice.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Does the Melody Maker still exist? Last time I checked, I think they were 400 bucks.. (Real Gibson)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

The Melody Maker does exist, you can find it on Musicians Friend and I saw 2 of them at Guitar Center a few weeks ago. They are the cheapest Gibsons, I think they check in at around $450?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Melody Maker and LP Junior are both worth serious consideration, as they are simple, proven designs and really get the job done -- not much to go wrong. But ... they are so plain and no-frills, I think most newer players won't even pick up one and give 'er a try given all the shinybrightcool guitars sitting near by. Too bad -- a real case of looks ain't everything. Of course, if one is into retro, then maybe they are cool.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Oh I'd LOVE to have an LP Jr or MM. I think i'd rather have one of those over a Fender Strat. Of course, I do love the shininess of the "real" Gibson LPs, but the Junior in sunburst looks extremely sexy too.

Btw, didnt the original les pauls have p-90s?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2