Recording yourself ...

Notifications
Clear all

Recording yourself REALLY helps!

47 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

For everone who is just starting out here is some advice from a fellow newbie: Find a way to record yourself playng. It makes a big difference in judging your progress. I started recording myself with about 3 weeks of practice. I am at 7 weeks now and I didn't think I made that much improvement. But I just re-recorded my Stairway to Heaven and I'll tell you that there is DEFINITELY a difference in my playing. Talk about motivation! I am still making mistakes but it sounds "smoother" and with the exception of getting to that F chord a bit quicker it doesn't sound half bad (if I must say so myself! 8) ...Hey, are all guitarists this vain! :oops: :oops: ). If you go to my Guitar Gallery site (link in my signature) and click on My Recordings you'll see stairway2.mp3 (the older one) and then the newer version with the date (which I am going to date files from now on). Hopefully you'll hear the improvement as well.

I also recorded Hells Bells (Mike's Hells Bells) that I just started learning yesterday (I also posted a link in the Hear Hear section). I think it sound OK...Plus I recorded Star Spangled Banner but I haven't been playing that one for a while and I can tell by the recording.

So if you have the opportunity record your playing even though you may think you're not that great YET! You will see a difference in only a few days/weeks!

(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

Good work - definate improvement.

Any kind of objective recording is always helpful, as you can forget how you used to sound. A big motivator.

Keep up the good work.
Mart. :D

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

Mikespe, any suggestions on a quick and easy way to record using my computer (gear and/or software)?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mikespe, any suggestions on a quick and easy way to record using my computer (gear and/or software)?

Well I am using Guitar Port as the interface for connecting my guitar to the computer. However I believe you can get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter so you can plug into your computer's Line In (guitar>amp>computer) and then use Audacity to record with. Also you could get M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card or M-Audio Fast Track USB Computer Recording Interface (which I like better because it has a preamp built in and you can plug your guitar directly into it without an adapter). Plus the second choice has a Mic In jack as well.

The cheapest would be the adapter at about $3 but not too many options come with it.

As you can see you have a lot of choices and not too pricey.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yo Mike that Hells Bells sounds kool! 8)

Now you are gonna have me buying that interface box! I can't afford any more GAS!!!!!! You guys are killing me! :shock:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Guitar Port. Do you feel like it's been a worthwhile investment?

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Guitar Port. Do you feel like it's been a worthwhile investment?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Considering I got it for free I'd say YEA! BoggieMan was nice enough to give it to me since he wasn't using it. But keep in mind you are locked to your computer with it. It's nice because its so easy to download the tones and they install in seconds...

However if you think you may want to be more "mobile" then a V-Amp or PodXT (V-Amp is cheaper) is the way to go. (Plus there is a V-Amp Pro that is a rack mount version of the same thing).

However with the V-Amp if you want to connect to your computer you need a MIDI connection (there are USB adapters I am finding out)...ou don't have to use the computer with V-Amp but there are a lot more settings you can tweak with the software.

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

Mike,

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. So, I think I'll probably opt for the Guitar Port. It seems to have the most attractive mix of functionality.

(Still enjoying that Agile LP?)

-Scott

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

I just had one of those epiphanal moments. I downloaded Audacity, and was messing around with it a little. I managed to figure out how to do a multi-track recording of Heart's "Crazy on You". First, I recorded the Am-to-F rhythm part, and then the lead guitar intro.

Admittedly, it sounded pretty crappy, and the tempo was all screwed up, but still.......very cool......I ALMOST made something that sounded musical.

This is what I find so great about guitar...and music in general....things never get stale or boring. There's always some new aspect of things to keep things interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@shan65)
Eminent Member

Mike,

What program are you using to record with??

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike,

What program are you using to record with??

I am using Audacity

ReplyQuote
(@shan65)
Eminent Member

Youy can use guitarport for a line in and record with audacity??

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Youy can use guitarport for a line in and record with audacity??

Yea it works great too.

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

how about a simple tape recorder ?
guess it's ok for acoustic not electric ?

or maybe attache to tape recorder to a pre-amp for electric ? like a multi-effect ?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4