Clear all

So i still dont understand.

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I can get the tab for all these different songs play them all and none of them sound like the way he sounds through his amp. So what can i do to make my copy les paul epiphone actually sound like a gibson les paul hooked up to 40 marshall half stacks? I really want that super high pitch nuts rippin solo sound van halen gets, and then pantera or metallica or megadeth distortion. Im so confused.... Can i get all that outta just the right amp or what, what do i need to do?!!!! :cry:

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Go buy a multi-fx pedal... your not gonna be able to get all of that off just one amp. I've got a little alesis spitfire 15 watt amp that has about 60 different sounds and u can make your own easily. I use this amp all the time, when jammin I either mike it or put it through to a bigger amp with a patch cable.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

lord_ariez is right..you need something like Guitar Port, PodXT, V-Amp, etc. There are different variations of each so do a little Googling to compare the. I have both the Guitar Port AND V-Amp. They both have their pluses and minuses...I don't like one more than the other however they are both different. Each serves a purpose for me.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

A Vox Tonelab will do anything you want it to. 8)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/150313/

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We all want to sound like our heroes, and most of us have to do it on a budget. So, before you flash the cash, wave the magic plastic, or go chat up that friendly guy at the bank for a loan, let's look at what gear you've got and what you're trying to sound like.

We know you've got an Epi LP, so what are you plugging it into - and not only are we going to consider the amp, but stompboxes too. The Vox tonelab has been mentioned and although it's seriously good stuff (as is the Korg and the Boss GT-6, and the Pod, and...,and...) it still won't make you sound like Metallica if you're plugging into an old hi-fi.

Spill the beans, dude, and we can suggest gear ideas.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok. my gear is: Fender original 150 strings, one fender H.O.T AMP. Its an older amp. Maybe like 98' 99. Its just one 12 inch speaker with a reverb, contour, and volume knobs. It has one of those old headphone jacks like back in the day fat head phone head, and a pre-amp plug in. thats pretty much my gear. That amp, an epi lp, and just some regular radio shack plug. I was looking at the " van halen" EXR foot pedal. Since hes one of my favorite guitar players and i love his sound, i have really been considering that pedal. Now i need help on a newer amp. See, i figure with that EXR Pedal, and like a 15 inch 120 watt marshall, i might be a little closer to that van halen ripping sound or zakks rythem. But if i am wrong, tell me other wise. I dont have alot of cash. Nothing over 300 bucks. :cry:

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

metallica Man,

i was on the same mission "get the metallica sound"
never got it came close though.

i'm not sure about kirk.but i know from stuff i've read that james gets his distortion from his amp plain and simple. and PUPS in his guitar.

on the other hand if youre looking for MOP,justice, distortion use a distortion pedal or multiFX pedal.

I tried the boss metal zone didn't do it for me. instead i got a ZOOM505 Mark 2 multiFX pedal. there are loads of patches you can download of the net and program into the thing. came very close.

Main thing with metallica sound is they use MESA BOOGIE rectifier amps
James also used a MESA BOOGIE Mark IV during recording demos for the black album.

For the black album and load re-load all that stuff before ST ANGER you would get pretty close if you could get a MESA.
Now money's an issue, i don't have money for a MESA. i don't know about you...

But the roland cube amp has a mod for dual rectifier stack and marshall.
have you got the "making of the black album" DVD ?
There's clips on there where the band plays from the floor, you should be able to mach that no-problem the same with the ST ANGER DVD.

SAve up and get youreself and amp with those mods it's worth it.
the cubes not expensive and it's a great little amp.
If you can also upgrade those pickups to EMG's 60/81 or 81/81
it makes a diff believe me.

BUT your biggest gain will come from the right amp.
Take your guitar to a shop nearby, plug into every amp you can. Test them all.
Ever consider trading in your old amp and paying in the diffrence?

i hope you can make sence of this dribble..

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member

MetallicaMan, you could save yourself a fortune and just play the blues. :lol:
Maybe if you play them loud enough outside the guitar shop the guy will take pity and give you a big discount. :lol:

I woke up this morning,
I had no metal sound,
Looked under my bed,
No Mesa Boogie to be found.

I looked in my wallet,
Nothing but moths and dust,
Come on the gods of good gear,
I need more metal than rust.

Can't remember how the rest goes. :P

----------------

And a 1-2-3-4.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Right - we know what amp you're using.

To get closer to that distorted sound, you need to rack up the gain control. It'll probably feedback like a b$£%$£% and you'll have to control that with the volume knobs on your guitar (as well as on the amp). Then start tinkering with the bass/treble knobs on the amp - is there a "middle" knob? If so, turn it round to full. Bass knob slightly below halfway. Treble slightly over halfway.

How's it sounding now?

If you have got some budget spare, try the Pod. It can model a MESA/Boogie dual rectifier.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote