Skip to content
What does it mean t...

Notifications
Clear all

What does it mean to you to be "reasonably good"...?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pearl19)
Topic starter  

At the guitar? What's your specific list of techniques and skills one has to master as a "reasonably good" guitarist? And what are the chords/chord shapes you have to know?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just have to sound good. depending on the sound you're going for, it might just be a few major and minor chords, or it might be two hand-tapping bach chorals. a person who sounds good generally has just mastered whatever they're playing for you. bo diddley could make one chord sound great.
pretty much any guitar player will have to know the major and minor chords, and probably the dominant 7th chords. an awareness of scales (at least their sound and shapes if not the note names) if they want to solo. after that, learn the whole neck, and probably start into jazz theory a bit after that.

edit: forgot one thing. rhythm. you can't sound good if you have no rhythm, regardless of what it is you're playing.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Im saying if you can pick up the guitar, and play/jam with most any band, or pick up songs on a CD and play along with them Id say your a pretty good player.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Depends on what your benchmark is....

If it is the shred like Kirk Hammett, play some Oasis songs, play to some friends, or form a band...

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Those goalposts always keep moving.

When i started i thought anybody who could play barr chords up and down the neck was good, and then when i managed that, i thought people who could make up their own simple solo's were good, and so on.

I think you can only judge yourself by your own progress. There will always be people who look at you and think your good - because they cant do what you can, even if it is just strum chords, and there will always be people you think are good because they can do things you cant.

It is amazing how much a few months of practice can change your opinion of what is good and what is not - but you will probably always consider yourself less good than you are, because the more you learn, the more you realise there is still to learn. At least i do anyway.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Reasonably good? I wouldn't know as I am exceptionally good. (Joke) :lol: In my book, if playing your guitar puts a smile on your face you win and that is all that matters. I suppose you could say you are reasonably good when you put a smile on someone elses face. :|

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I think "reasonably good" is relative to the song I'm playing. For me it entails getting through the song with no noticeable (except to me) flubs; making chord changes smoothly; keeping the rhythm going; knowing what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, i.e. understanding the theory; and having someone who hears me say "hey, that was good".

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote