Clear all

What drives us?

32 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey, as some people already know, I've been searching for a new guitar for some time now. Its either between the epi g400 custom or the dot (please don't recommend any other guitars, Ive got my chocies down) and I have saved up enough money for eithe rone of them. I was planning to buy the guitar during christmas because the price woul drop about $60, and that's a huge difference and benefit to unemployed people. So, as Im telling my mom my ideas, my dad overhears me, and he starts to ask why I need a new guitar. This question froze me, and he said I could get one when I convince him why I need one.

To add to that, my mom said," why do you need another guitar? you already have one that works" (MiM strat) What is behind that type of reasoning? Ive been thinking about it and what drives us to continously purchase new guitars? Where is the source of the thought,"hmmm, I really need this type of guitar"? What makes us need to have more than one, if it already works fine? It can't be the style of music, as you can play any style on any guitar (don't count 7 string, baritone, etc.)

Ive been playing for a year and 9 months with the same guitar, mentioned above, and it's fine. Howver, as my skill increased so did my hearing, and I can now tell that single coils arent my favorite, and I prefer the sound of humbuckers. But does that justify getting an enitrely new guitar, just for that reason?

Just as an example, mikespe recently bough an Agile LP, I belive a couple of months ago. Now Im reading a thread, that hes considerng the doubleneck agile. I want to know, what made him think that he needs a new one.

It's just been on my mind, and I can't figure out why
Anything is appreciated
Thanks alot

(and to mikespe, didnt mean to offend if you were offended, youre a cool guy 8) )

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I can now tell that single coils arent my favorite, and I prefer the sound of humbuckers

If you don't like/want the strat anymore, sell it and put the money towards the guitar you want.

Just a thought...................

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I think mostly that you answered your own question. For me, its about a sound AND a look. I'll be brutally honest, when I show up to jam with some people I like a nice looking guitar. Maybe I wont ever afford to buy one that will make them go WOW but getting compliments on a nice guitar makes you feel better. I also can hear the differences in sound. There is a huge (in my mind) difference between my standard acoustic and my Ovation. Its also a hobby thing. When do paintball players REALLY need several guns? Different feel, a backup, braggin rights.. all good answers.

I come from a pretty poor background. I never went hungry, but man I thought I might some times. So now that I have a good job and a hobby that has lasted the test of time (for me, I go through hobbies like socks) it makes me feel good that I can go out and buy a decent guitar now and then.

Do you need a second? Maybe not, but if you have the cash saved then why not? ( Of course that opinion varies based on job status).

Thats my reasoning.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Hmm tough question to answer. Although, you hit part of it. As we grow as players, the way we hear music becomes different than that of someone that's just a listener. Also, our interests tend to become much broader.You said yourself that you prefer the sound of humbuckers to single coils.

But, for each of us our choices of guitars is driven by several things. From the style of music we like to play to wanting to own gear like our heroes.

I currently own 4 guitars. A strat, a Dual Humbucker Schecter, an Acoustic, and an Oscar-Schmidt semi-acoustic. Some of it I can justify.

Strat-Blues, Rock, country, and I've always wanted a strat. Versatile guitar. Love it to death. Plus most of the players I look up to play one. :) Or did.

Schecter Omen 6- It just screamed "I'm YOURS" when I saw it hanging on the wall. Blues, Rock and Metal. It'll even twang if I fiddle with the knobs some. Not to mention, Metallica, Sabbath et al just don't sound right on a strat with all single coils.

The two above were also bought with a band in mind. Having both gives me some flexibility in songs and tunings.

Fender DG-25 Acoustic (bought from Nick here) I was wanting an acoustic, A. because it's easier to drag places. (like the park where electricity is iffy) B. I can play it at midnight without headphones and my neighbors aren't pounding on my door. C. It has a higher action than either of my electrics, forces me to concentrate on playing cleaner and therefore makes my electric playing better. D. For some country and country blues you just can't beat the sound of an acoustic.

Oscar-Schmidt OE-30- Semi acoustic. This was just one of those random impulse purchases. Neat to have, and a little different sound than the strat or the schecter. Other than that I didn't really need it.

I also want a good resonator eventually. And a.... lol this list could get really long. :)

And some times you buy one just because you can, and because it looks and sounds good. :shock:

Can't help you with justifying it to your dad though. Being single, I don't have to justify anything I do or don't do to anyone, but my cat, and all she cares about is that her food dish is full. :P

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Well Blackzerogsh,

I read your question, then I stepped away for a minute to unload the dishwasher and thought about an answer and I came up with two.

One is a philosophical, justifiable, artsy-fartsy diatribe that I'll answer with a question or two. The second answer may just be the truth at least for me.

First: As an artist (at least aspiring to be), and speaking of artists why does a painter need more than one brush? Sure the one works just fine so why do they need more than one, often dozens of them? The different types of strokes they can create using the different brushes right?

Why do golfers have more than one club in their bag? Because each one does something different. (maybe that's a bad analogy....but).

Well different types of guitars, as you may know, paint different tonal qualities and textures. As an artist I want to experience, experiment and create a multitude of sounds. Yes I could use a V-Amp or Pod or something else to imitate any kind of sound possible, but I want the pure, original tone. Not something fabricated or processed.

Not to mention that I would get really bored if I didn't have both an electric and an acoustic guitar.

Second: I don't necessarily need to have 5 guitars. I don't need to have two accoustics (Parlour and Dread), a LP, a Strat and a Hollow Body. But I live in America. And our socitey values the MORE MORE MORE mindset.

I have a good job, I make good money, I can afford an American Strat. Besides the fact I'll probably not lose much if any $$ if I sell it, It partially feeds my Ego in that I have the Pure, the Genuine, the Original instrument to achieve those sounds. Not to mention what ever Status it may portray when I show up somewhere with it.

My LP is a beautiful piece of work as well. That was mainly why I got this particular model. I could have gotten a standard or a studio, but I opted not to. Instead I chose the most deluxe model I could find.

Why? (Shrugs) ........ I'm with Twisty on this one "Because I can?"

But your question is a good one and I've asked the same thing myself when I made me recent purchases and my answer was a little of both. At the end of the day I need them to be a part of my journey in my quest to find myself as a guitarist.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Exactly.

I think if you don't know why you want a new guitar, you shouldn't get one.

I started off with a squire bullet strat...Very well made, loved it. However, there were around 5 dead fretts, and a lot more that buzzed, and a lot of dents in the fret wire. The sound wasn't BAD, but it wasn't as full and warm as I wanted. So I got a Gibson Les Paul. I love this guitar, the sound is AMAZING, the feel is amazing, the look is amazing. Nothing wrong with this guitar.

However, I'm thinking about getting a new guitar anyways. Why? Not just BECAUSE. But, the Les Paul makes playing VERY high on the fretboard rather difficult, because of the single cutaway. So, the solution? A Gibson SG. A slightly different sound, different feel, different weight, but it has the double cutaway, that allows for ease of playing high up on the neck. I'm not getting it just 'because', I'm getting it for a better playing experience.

You have your reason, you said it yourself. You don't like the sound of the single coils (can't blame ya) and you want a guitar with humbuckers. That's your reason right there. Yeah, it justifies it. Maybe tell your dad why you want a new one. Either way, it's your money!

People get new guitars for other reasons, some do it just because they want new stuff, others do it because they want to have a guitar set in a different tuning. Some want an acoustic and an electric, others may want a guitar set up perfectly for slide playing. Some want to be able to have two sounds they can choose from, single coil or humbucker.

Hope that helps...
Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Maybe tell your dad why you want a new one.
Taso

Thats the main thing I'm trying to figure out. Like, I know, personally why, it's all the reaons you guys gave (excellent btw) But, it's hard explaining to non-guitarists the difference between single coils and HBs. You can do it, but in terms of sound, everyhting might be identical, and theres no point for a new guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

First off, ask your Dad why he trades his car in to get a new one when the old one worked fine? Why buy new school clothes every year when the old one's fit & look fine :wink:

Secondly, for a variety of sound...as you have noticed single coils are different that humbuckers. You have grown musically to know the sound you want for your music.

Thirdly, different features...some have tremlo, different pickup settings, etc...

Lastly (and MORE importantly)...it brings you joy. You love music and want to play a variety of it.

Second lastly :lol: ...Because you WANT one! :shock:

For me I am also a collector...When I get involved in a hobby I am passionate about I collect (if appropriate) anything related to it. I am big into computers so I have 3...2 desktops (one I built) and one old laptop (that needs to be replaced because it is SOOO old!)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

That's some great stuff mikespe. I have been trying to search for examples to use of stuff tat people buy aloof. I tried to use car collecting when arguing with my parents, but it just wasn't working. I tried to show how car collectors buy alot of cars, even thought the ones they own work fine. It's about having different models/body types etc, rather than saying, "oh I need something that works"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Also, ask your mom why she has more than one pair of shoes? Ten types of perfume? 40 pair of earings? etc

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I started with a Yamaha Pacifica, a strat copy, it served me fine while I was learning. I still love it. I was looking for a different sound and feel. I got an Epi LP, its beautiful, I love it. I also purchased an acoustic because it is an entirely different playing experience. Now I have to divide my time between my three "children". Three guitars, they are called guitars, but they are all different.

Go to your mother's kitchen. Pull out a pot. Then pull out another pot, and then a pan, 2 pans if she has them. They are ALL cooking utensils and while each one can do the job of the other certain pans are meant for certain tasks and certain tasks are accomplished best by one particular type of pan.

Pull out a box of Crayolla crayons, the big 64 box. Take out only the blues. Do you think you'll only find one blue? No. There are many. Different shades, different tones. Explain how each guitar produces different shades and tones of the musical spectrum.

Do it quietly without emotion. They might just get it.

Best of luck.

... And don't get rid of your strat. You'll come back to it. Slap some new strings on it and love the sound of it.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

my parents do the same...when I bought my Squier my mom was like what for? You have another electric. Well, then I sat her down, played something on my Ibanez and played the same thing on my Squier, and she noticed the difference. and she just said "oh, i got it" then i explained to her the difference between pickups and body styles and woods and i went on and on and now she understands. So when Christmas comes along and she finds a new amplifier on my wishlist, she's not so quick to say "what for? you already have an amp!"

Also, my parents seem to be better about my hobby because they see (or hear!) how much i play my guitars. They hear me playing all the time, and they see me playing all my guitars. So they are not as hesitant to accept my new gear, because they know i will enjoy it and that i will play it and it will not go to waste. my mom has said many times that she doesnt mind giving me guitar-related gifts because she knows i'll use them.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

For me at least getting a new guitar represents the commitment that you have put into guitar. I look around my room and see all the stuff from the things I no longer do, then I look at my modest collection of guitars and they all represent my passion that I have and will continue to have.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

A lot of people just think that a guitar is a guitar and an amp is an amp. My mother had a bit of trouble understanding the difference between an electric guitar and an acoustic, and why putting electronics in my acoustic wasn't the same as a solid-body electric. I killed that quick and did get a strat, luckily.

Now I'm looking at buying a 2nd acoustic and it's the same thing as above. "Why do you need a new one, what's wrong with yours? You said it was just a hobby!"

I think it's a matter of variety and personal enjoyment derrived from that variety. My current accoustic is really bright, I would like one that has a warmer, more mellow tone. Sometimes I'm in the mood for different sounds and aural textures in sound that just flow through my body. I love drifting in and out of a daze and just having the notes float by. It's those cherished and sought after times when it just feels soo right.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a different texture and a different guitar can take me there. I've experienced it before and it's wonderful, it truely is.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree.
another reason is I need to fill my dining room since I dont have a dining room table.

hmmm... I used to be able to load images. now I cant. has something changed.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3