Questions about Seagulls and necks

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I went to the guitar shop today to buy a chromatic tuner and a Seagull winked at me from the wall. 8)

Spotting a sucker, the sales guy quickly swept us both into the back room (which was basically wall to wall amps with a small bit of empty air where we sat...) and plugged us in.

Very nice too. :D

It was an S6+ CW and had a little mic thingie on a stalk that stuck up under the strings, and apparently also another pickup hidden away somewhere. I guess it's some version of this model:

Seagull S6+ CW

Has anybody had experience of these please? Any comments about the pickup system or any other aspects of the guitars?

Last weekend I went and played a few Martins, Taylors, Matons and Cole Clarks. But none of them quite sang to me like this little birdie did, despite its being cheaper than the others.

I did notice that the neck was wider than my other guitars though. In the short term it was very comfortable and probably made it easier to play.

But are there any long term pitfalls in having guitars with different neck widths? This might be a stupid question. I've got other guitars which all have somewhat different neck widths and I seem to be able to adapt OK from one to the other. However, as I'm still not a very experienced player, the exact degree of mediocrity doesn't really show much when I swap from one guitar to another.

Are there potential problems swapping from guitar to guitar, or is it all good?

Thanks for any input. :)

Cheers, Chris

(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

On a side note.

I had a weird experience on the way to the shop. Driving along a quiet and wide 4 lane road when a silver late model sedan coming towards me decided to do a huge tyre smoking, screaming U turn across the road in front.

Not close enough to be a danger, but the driver lost control, smashed into the concrete kerb, taking a 2 metre chunk out, ripping a long strip of metal bodywork almost off, and badly buckling the back wheel. They kept on screaming and smoking their way for a few more metres then spun it around to face in my direction again. Fortunately, they were back on the other side of the road by this time and I just gunned it through the gap (which was at least a lane wide).

Not wanting to stop and check if the car was full of car thieves, drunks, druggies, or just plain old morons, I kept going.

No big deal. But at the next set of lights a 4wd pulled up and the woman driving and her male passenger started yelling at me that they'd seen me hit the car and had taken my number! :shock:

I guess when you see a spinning, smoking car shedding bodywork ahead of you, with a bright yelllow sports car nearby the mind just makes up a story involving street racing or some nonsense or other! :?

Anyway, we yelled at each other for a couple of sets of lights, until it appeared to dawn on the idiots that my car was astonishingly free of damage for one that had allegedly just wrecked another one!

Quite put me off my guitar buying though. Had to keep peering out the window to make sure some deranged cretin wasn't kicking my panelwork in :cry:

Always next wek though. :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I'm by no means an expert, but I wouldn't think the small size difference in this guitar would make a big difference. I read in the specs. that the nut width is 1.8", my Tacoma is 1.75". Most dreadnaughts I've seen are 1.75" but that's still only 0.05" larger. If you practice regularly I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. There are lots of people who play both classical guitars and electric (big neck width differece there) with no problem. I also play the mandolin (Talk about a neck width difference). I don't have a problem switching back and forth. Seagulls are a highly recommended guitar here at GN. People seem to be extra fond of the cedar topped ones.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Real nice guitar Chris! I hear more good things about those guitars than any other. I am sure you 2 will be very happy together.

After making it through your James Bond adventure without a scratch, it must have been destiny for you to have that guitar! 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

There are lots of people who play both classical guitars and electric (big neck width differece there) with no problem. I also play the mandolin (Talk about a neck width difference). I don't have a problem switching back and forth. .

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I have a Yamaha Strat copy and a Johnson hollow body which both have nut that are amost a quarter of an inch narrower than the Seagull. But then I've a dreadnought style that's about half way between the Seagull and the other two, and I seem to be able to adjust OK.

It never hurts to ask though. When I ask questions in areas that I "half know" I'm often surprised by what can pop out of the woodwork. :wink:

( I like your sig too. :) )
After making it through your James Bond adventure without a scratch, it must have been destiny for you to have that guitar!

Yes I'm thinking along those lines too. :D

Weird experience on the road though. Normally I would have stopped and asked if everything was OK with the driver, offered assistance or whatever. But there was something wild and violent about the way the car was being driven that said "keep on moving!". I asked a few friends, and also some mates over at the car forum and the universal opinion was that it was probably a stolen car, and that keeping going was a good idea.

Such a quite life out here in the country - that'll teach me to visit the wicked city! :shock:

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Last weekend I went and played a few Martins, Taylors, Matons and Cole Clarks. But none of them quite sang to me like this little birdie did, despite its being cheaper than the others.

+1 for my trusty Seagull M6... Haven't had GAS for an acoustic since I bought it almost a year ago... 8) (Other than an 1966 Martin that I played, which sold a day later, and a twelve string...)

They're great guitars, and mine sounds and plays exellent... Highly reccomended! :D

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

+1 for my trusty Seagull M6... Haven't had GAS for an acoustic since I bought it almost a year ago... 8) (Other than an 1966 Martin that I played, which sold a day later, and a twelve string...)

They're great guitars, and mine sounds and plays exellent... Highly reccomended! :D

Thanks Yoyo,

Funny that you should mention 12 string guitars. I actually spotted the S6 as I was reaching for a Seagull twelve string that was on sale at a special price.

For what I was prepared to pay to get a good guitar in the other brands I can actually buy both the Seagulls.

I really had tried to steel myself to buy one good guitar this time, and not keep continuing to build up a collection of medium quality ones. But temptation seems to be beckoning in my direction again. :twisted: :twisted:

I guess a good guitar is a good guitar, no matter what you happen to pay for it. And two :twisted: good guitars are still good guitars. Oh dear, so much GAS around today I could run the kitchen stove on it....

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Randy Rhodes and Eddie Van Halen both played electrics and classicals(huge neck difference), both very well too, so I think that once you get used to it, it won't hinder your playing at all.

I would agree that keeping going on was the best decision. It was their reckless driving that caused the wreck, and who knows what kind of people were in that car. Since no one was hurt there was little you could have done anyway. But what a great story to tell, you'll remember that one for a while!

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Randy Rhodes and Eddie Van Halen both played electrics and classicals(huge neck difference), both very well too, so I think that once you get used to it, it won't hinder your playing at all.

Had a similar discussion about neck width etc with my teacher when I first started. As I have large hands with long fingers. (I think Nick once referred to me as a circus freak :P )

My teacher then said something that made sense then and still does. He simply said it doesn't really matter as you get used to what you play on.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Chris,

I too has spotted by a Seagull last weekend in my neighborhood guitar store, and she gave me a wink too! After playing together for some time, I regretfully left the store alone, but keep thinking about that guitar! I'm a goner! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Chris C,
I have 2 seagulls. An S6+cedar, and an S6+ folk, and I they are both great sounding guitars. You could'nt have smaller hands then me, and I have no problem with the necks. Very easy for finger picking. And tonight I just heard a band playing in a benifit for the hurricane victims, and the rythm player had the Seagull you are talking about. Man, did it sound nice plugged in, beautifull sound. He did have the artist series guitar if that makes much difference. I think they are a little higher than the basic Segull.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all,

A while back I read somebody here give some very appealing advice about choosing guitars. It was something along the lines of "it's the one that you can't stop thinking about after you've left the shop. The one that pops back into your head when you wake up the next morning" and so on. Sorry that I can't remember who to credit.

I played some very nice guitars a week ago, but they were forgotten again before I'd finished driving home.

Great to get the confirmation, and the good stories. Dntalb, I hope you can hook up with the one that winked at you too.

It's Sunday today and the shops are shut, but next week it's "Goodbye money, hello guitar". 8)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Chris, you have given me GAS when previously there was none.

Raves about the Seagulls is all I hear.

I don't like to part with guitars, it takes a lot for me to sell but I have 'marked' 2 acoustic guitars to be sold to turn them into a Seagull.

I gave my present 2 acoustics a last chance yesterday, one is a beautiful Dean work of art but I just do not like the sound plugged or unplugged. The other is a low end Fender that I never liked.

Better to adjust the collection to only guitars that will be played regularly. Right now my Samick Avion 3 Les Paul is my 'star' guitar and gets played daily through my Tonelab.

A Seagull is in my future.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

WEll this is called experience :wink: :evil: :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i have a seagull M6 and it's a fabulous high quality instrument. they're cheaper because they're made in Canada.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2