Clear all

WHAT SCALE ?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i need to play some lead on a new piece we are doing the intro is G7 AM G7 [just one strum on each] then verse C 1BAR E7 1 BAR AM1/2 BAR EM1/2 BAR D7 1 BAR F 1BAR G7 1 BAR C 1BAR G7 1/2 BAR C 1/4 BAR G7 1/4 BAR.......AND SO ON but i cant seem to make sense of any scale in c to fit ....smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Chords used: G7, Am, C, E7,Em, D7, F.
Notes used: G B D F A C E G#, or C D E F G G# A B.

So it's just C-major, the only exception being the E7 chord with it's G#. But that's nothing too weird either, just target the G$ instead of the G, should work perfectly as an E7->Am progression usually works very well. You might want to play it all in C-major and switch to A-harmonic or melodic minor during the E7-Am.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it sort of modulates back and forth between c, am, and g. i don't know if it's true modulation, but there's a lot of V-I movement. e7-am, d7-g g-c. i wouldn't think about scales as much as just construct melodies in your head and follow them, or record the chords as a backing track and play over them until you're comfortable.

ReplyQuote
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys, i think my problem has been trying to use one scale or another and not moving to other scales when the chord structure does ...knew this would,nt be easy but will work at it [lead is fairly new to me] much appreciated.................smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

here are some other songs that pop into my head with similar chord structures: san francisco bay blues, hazel(bob dylan), alice's restaurant (arlo guthrie). it's got a fingerpicked blues feel in my head, a la mississippi john hurt or blind willie mctell.

ReplyQuote