Clear all

What song are you learning right now?

71 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My latest song to learn is Gimme shelter. It's quite a break from the normal playing and strumming. A few different rhythm patterns in both open G and Standard tuning as well as some lean playing that isn't too fast, but does need to be done. A far cry from the strum and sing stuff I normally try. I'm recording bit by bits, and trying out this corrdination thing I keep hearing about using the wah pedal in the intro. all good fun.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Love that song man! I am learning three songs for jamming - so I am not learning them precisely (i.e. not learning specifically the whole things note for note) Purple haze, Voodo child and Foxy lady, maybe I could make a post to tell you guys how the jam went. It is the drummer who chose the songs lol but I love playing Hendrix so...... we will see!

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have not set out to learn any of thoe Hendrix tunes. I do know a couple, although not note for note and limited to rhythm in a single guitar setting. "Wind Cries Mary", "Wild Thing" (although I'm probably closer to the Troggs than hendrix with my efforts) and "Hey Joe".

Two versions of Hey Joe. One I actually recorded and put in hear here section on day. It was very un-Hendrix. I was blowing of steam. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Probably more like distortion on distortion with a touch of distorted distortion on the side.

I can play "Wind Cries Mary" all the way through, but the bar chords get to me after a while. Rarely do I complete the song in one sitting, so to speak.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I Probably more like distortion on distortion with a touch of distorted distortion on the side.

:lol: Maybe adding a little bit of distortation next time might enhance it a little ..... :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Hey Roy, do you do the barre chords the Hendrix way? This is something I started doing in recent years - ya know - with the thumb over the top fretting the low note - you must know what I mean......

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Roy, do you do the barre chords the Hendrix way? This is something I started doing in recent years - ya know - with the thumb over the top fretting the low note - you must know what I mean......
I suffer from short digits. No can do. :(

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Tough luck man though I used to not be able to do it and I thought - Hendrix' hands are just too big - and now I can do it!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I need a hand stretcher.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Honestly Roy just learn how to play like yourself - I used to never use that Hendrix method of the thumb and I found other ways to play his songs then suddenly I started trying it, experimenting and it started to creep in but to this day I have never learnt the entire ins and outs of any Hendrix song note for note! Why bother when I can use the tab books to learn the "how" of what he plays rather than the precise "what" notes he is playing???? If you can take Hendrix songs and continue to create new stuff within the songs, well thats the ultimate goal really because you become a musician not a parrot.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

I've recently started to learn High Hopes by David Gilmour. I've tabbed out all 3 solos (1st nylon string solo, end lap steel solo and final solo from Remember That Night) The hardest part? To recreate all those nuances of sound he does so well.

ReplyQuote
(@myfingersarebleedin)

I am working on David Gray's Babylon at the moment courtesy of Mr. Hodge's lesson which is for the most part going well. Also revisiting Paul Simon's Kathy's Song which is taking some work.

Been there - done that. Just can't remember where it was or what I did.

ReplyQuote
(@kc0bbq)
Eminent Member

I'm working on I Can't Explain. It's a pretty easy song for The Who, but one little piece of the bridge is killing my brain. I just can't wrap my mind around it for some reason. It's pretty much right at my skill level, so it's pretty cool to have a song I can mostly play along with the recording. Other than that little part of the bridge, I just have the solos to learn. I might have to find a replacement for the 12-string solo.

I love the song's riff; I always have. Since 90% of the song is just that simple riff, it's a good excuse to play it over and over and over again. It's also a nice and jangly song. Jangly is the only tone I've figured out.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Get back - Beatles and Jumpin Jack Flash - Stones have to learn them for a party next week

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Get back - Beatles and Jumpin Jack Flash - Stones have to learn them for a party next week

Cool. Get Back is on my list of songs to learn one of these days. WOuld be a fun song to play with a band.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Anvil ..... Metal on Metal :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5