Skip to content
What songs are you ...

Notifications
Clear all

What songs are you playing / recommending?

25 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@prndl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm interested in learning more acoustic songs and was wondering what others are playing.

Here's my current list:

Kyptonite by 3 Doors Down
Remedy by Black Crowes
More Than a Feeling by Boston
About a Girl by Nirvana
Driver 8 by REM (thanks David)
How's it Going to Be by Third Eye Blind

I'm currently figuring out Breaking the Girl by RHCP and noticed that the online guitar tabs are WAY off.

What do you play or recommend?

Thanks!

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

(@Anonymous)

I have only been playing for 6 months but I am attempting Pride & Joy by SRV...this is the main song I am working on. I am also working on Night Moves by Bob Seger, Hoochie Coochie Man by Eric Clapton, and improving Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi. I am also toying around with You're Not Alone Tonight & Jeans On by Keith Urban.

My main goal is just general blues playing and chord changes including barre chords.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I got this months issue of GP a few days ago and one of the free download options was Black Crowes' "She Talks to Angels". I'd struggled with trying to suss it out a while back and had no luck. Surprise, surprise, it's in an alternate tuning, and in the right tuning the song practically plays itself. The most challenging part of learning it is getting the strum patterns down, as there are a lot of rhythm variations.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Vindicated - Dashboard Confessional

Sugar We're Going Down - Fall Out Boy

all acoustic versions

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

KISS-Detroit Rock City
Iron Maiden-Where Eagles Dare, Running Free, and Transylvania
Metallica-beginning of Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman rhythm
Megadeth-Devils Island

I'm having fun with metal. :)

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/

Honeycomb (2005 Album)

Advantages: The songs are mostly easy, sounds very good on a single guitar (esp acoustic) and nobody knows them :)

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@onion_dav)
Eminent Member

tears in heaven - Clapton.
was easier than i thought it would be to learn. also the intro to bad love.

james blunt
tom mcrae
david gray
del amitri

all do some great accoustic tracks

'i want that one...'

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

im learning black dog and foxy lady now...................it seems like everyone in here play acoustic music with mostly open chords what gives?

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Little Wing - I love this song - always have. Really enjoying learning it.

Solo from Sunshine of Your Love - been working on this for about 9 months. I've got the first part down cold, but just can't seem to nail the rest of it. When I get frustrated, I put it down and then come back to it fresh in a couple of weeks.

Steve

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Steve S ,

I know what you mean about getting frustrated with solos. I worked off an on on the sols from Aqualung and about two weeks ago decided to really learn it all the way through. For me the what takes me the longest is to just have the whole solo memorized so I don't thave to look at the tab( I don't read)Once I can do that (and that might take months) I can really start working on the phrasing and tempo. Of course it always seems like there's one little part in each song that's difficult.

So that's been my main focus but also been messing with Rocky mountain way by Joe Walsh, Born to be Wild (done) and a few others.

I think the next one is going to be a song from Guns and Roses either Sweet child o mine or Ain't it fun (which is a cover they did)

Mikespe

Man I have to give you some respect for even attempting Pride and Joy. I gave it a quick try a few months back and found it was a little beyond my ability and I've been playing a few years now. You may push me back to trying it again. It didn't look that hard on paper but in reality that's not an easy song. I saw your other post about you not attempting the whoile song but if you even get someof it down that would be a big accomplishment for 6 months.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mikespe

Man I have to give you some respect for even attempting Pride and Joy. I gave it a quick try a few months back and found it was a little beyond my ability and I've been playing a few years now. You may push me back to trying it again. It didn't look that hard on paper but in reality that's not an easy song. I saw your other post about you not attempting the whoile song but if you even get someof it down that would be a big accomplishment for 6 months.
I agree. I've been working on the intro to SRV's Mary Had a Little Lamb for the past week, and find it easier than P&J. The solo's a different story though.

Acoustic songs: David Gray's Babylon, Byrd's Turn Turn Turn, Sting's Fields of Gold.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I am just now hooked on the Robert Johnson and EC songs.

Me and the Devils blues in A
From for until Late in C

Nobody Knows When you are down and out in C
Alberta in C

They are easy to play on acoustic guitar with open chords and you can add more and more of EC´s solo parts the more you learn. They are are not faster than 100 Bpm wich makes chord changes easy.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

playing old stuff lately.

Dead Flowers by the Stones.
We're Going Wrong by Cream.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

tying to learn the solo to rockbottom by ufo

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Cnev & slejhamer,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! 8) However keep in mind I am simplifying it a tad. I played it today at work and my coworker recognized it right away and I wasn't even tuned down a half step! Believe me though I still have a LONG way to go. There are parts in the intro that I can't figure out how SRV goes from the upstrumed shuffle to slides so quickly and cleanly! I guess that's why SRV is a legend and I am fodder! I am still only working on the walking baseline with the shuffle. It's coming along but I can only do it for a few measures before screwing it up.

If you break the intro into parts and work on them individually and then assemble them one at a time you'll hear the song begin to form. I am not using internet tab though...I am using Hal Leonard's Blues Play-Along Vol. 7. It has the backing tracks and everything. The book is well worth the money if you are into blues music.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2