Clear all

Whatever happened to "Mosrite", etc. ?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know what happened to "Mosrite" guitars and "Award" amplifiers ?
Both made in Los Angeles from what I gather.
Back in the mid-60's, the Ventures switched from Fender guitars to Mosrite, and their album backs endorsed/advertised them as the only guitars the band played....later, the same happened with Award amps.
Then, into the 70's, the guitar endosements ceased, but a small amp endorsement continued. By the mis 70's, no more mention was made of either, but the odd album cover still showed the band with Mosrite guitars.
BTW...were these guitars & amps considered upper-tier ?
(Just an old Ventures fan who is curious.... :D )

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There are Mosrite collectors.

Mosrite has had a checkered history - bought, sold, bankrupted, financially rebuilt, burned down, physically rebuilt... they finally vanished a little over 10 years ago. There's a decent history here.

I don't know much about Award amps... maybe someone else can fill in that blank.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Obviously, being endorsed by the Ventures was not good for your business. 8) 8) 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

NoteBoat, thanks for the great link...most of the info I was looking for. That is quite a website.
The Award amp, as I thought, was also by Mosrite. :D

Greybeard....my word....it was the Ventures endorsement deal that made the company successful, and the decline of Mosrite began after that deal was over.

I know there are lots of folks who don't think much of those so-called "surf" instrumental groups like the Ventures or Shadows....but I always found that those guitarists who could play actual complex (and recognizable) melodies and harmonies, to be more technically proficient than those who came later, ...the ones who could only play generic "distortion/riff/fill" style lead or second guitar.
Sue me.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If your looking for a Re-Issue here's a really nice one

You can find them here Eastwood Guitars

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

As a side note do you know they were made of Masonite?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Oh man, I love the Ventures. I don't know why, but I really dig the surf sound. All their songs are very listenable.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As a side note do you know they were made of Masonite?
Huh ? This seems impossible (to me).
"Masonite" is a brand-name of a hardboard that is essentially densely-compacted, layered paper.....
I've never heard of it being manufactured in anything thicker than 1/4" sheets, 4' x 8', mainly used for cabinet backs and drawer bottoms. It is both flexible and brittle beyond its' flex point.
Do you have a link for a Mosrite "connection" ?
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

Hey, Danelectro's have been made with masonite for decades, no one would argue that they're the sturdiest built guitars around, but they definitely have their place in music/guitar history. :D

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Apart from the Ventures, barre chord wizard Johnny Ramone used Mosrite guitars throughout his career.

They still seem to be on offer:
http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_mos.htm
but they're very expensive, which seems strange to me as originally they were rather cheap, I believe.

Good looking axes though. And the body was made of masonite. Layers of it.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote