Skip to content
what's the best old...

Notifications
Clear all

what's the best old/inexpensive rhythm/drum machine?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@prndl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What I'd like to do is buy a good rhythm or drum machine to practice scales and arpeggios and possibly simple chord progressions.

I'd like it to be inexpensive, but have some fun rhythms.
I'd also like it to sound good without having to program it -- something simple and easy to use.
I figure the best bang for the buck would be a used item on Ebay.
I recall Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins mention that he used a "grey one" for this purpose, but I don't recall any details.

Here are some: Boss DR, Yamaha RY, Roland TR, Alesis SR

Did any of you players use a drum or rhythm machine that you'd recommend for practice?

Has anyone used one as an accompanyment for live performance?

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You could always buy a program (or get freeware like hammerhead) and make your own drum loops. It's fun and gives you a good understanding on how things work. Plus, you have the advantage of changing the feeling when you want and you can burn them to a CD and take them anywhere.

Just a thought......

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have Band in a Box, but I never use it - even though I play next to the computer and use iTunes all the time.

For me, there's too many clicks of the mouse required for Band in a Box to get a simple beat - it's more for songs.
That's why I was focusing on an old rhythm machine, instead of a new one that does everything.

I want to spend my time having fun playing guitar, instead of programming (either a rhythm machine or a computer).

I can be technophobic at times :D

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I have Band in a Box, but I never use it - even though I play next to the computer and use iTunes all the time.

For me, there's too many clicks of the mouse required for Band in a Box to get a simple beat - it's more for songs.
That's why I was focusing on an old rhythm machine, instead of a new one that does everything.

I want to spend my time having fun playing guitar, instead of programming (either a rhythm machine or a computer).

I can be technophobic at times :D

You'll hate the Roland TR series then.

ReplyQuote