Clear all

What's your favorite KEY SIGNATURE?

24 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering...what is the guitar player's favorite key signature to play in (if there IS such a thing)?

What's yours and why :?:

Dennis

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I think I probably play more songs in A, Bb and Eb than any other key. But that's really just because those are very popular jazz keys.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I prefer G, only because I can almost sing in this key :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I like the way Bminor sounds, and I've always enjoyed G (there's something beautiful about simplicity).

Lately I've been playing more in G since I've learned some Blues Traveler (esp. runaround) and Green Day. That'll probably change next week.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

D minor because it's the saddest :D

Seriously though, I'd say I like playing in E minor the best... just because i can use tons of open strings with it and it's pretty basic when it comes to reading music, plus most of my favorite songs are in E minor.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I find myself in G and Cm quite a bit.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@aroomadazda)

I like C. The fingerings for C, F, and G in open position fit my hand nicely. I usually only play the 2nd through 5th strings on my F chord. Sometimes I use my thumb to grab the low F note. Playing this way allows me to keep my 1st and 3rd fingers in the same spot when I change from C to F, and I am all about economy of motion and not making wholesale changes when switching from one chord to the next.

I also like the keys of Am and Em.

I never did mind about the little things

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

For playing it's got to be E. It's the easiest key to play in (open strings) and sounds the deepest. A and G are very easy to play in also. D and C are not bad either.

For singing, I like C and G. I can usually sing a song in those keys well. They are also pretty easy keys to play in and you can play most songs with home chords (no barre chords needed).

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

I'm kinda new here. How do you guys feel about capos???

I find that just by moving up one or two frets you can really bring the vocals out of the "mud". I tune down one fret from concert so I can reach the vocals in songs like "Ticket To Ride". To play "Mrs. Brown" and "Here Comes the Sun", I capo up four frets. Guitar playing is important but I find if I can't get any leverage under the vocals, the song just drags.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm kinda new here. How do you guys feel about capos???

Hi Slip.

Capos are fine, but you might want to start a new thread (post) using capos in the subject.

The capo thing might get lost in the "favorite key signature" thread, although capos and keys DO go together.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

D minor because it's the saddest :D

I don't know why but you can play it and people just weep instantly. :P

My fav key is uh.....all of them.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My key is G. For ease of playing and singing. The open G chord just sounds a bit fuller, and brighter to me.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Dm, and Am... Hey, I'm a Clapton fan remember?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I guess I would have to say for playing that it would be either G or A.

For singing it has to be Xb to match my voice. :P (Thats eXtra flat)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

What's a key?

:P

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2