Notifications
Clear all

When did you start?

34 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I started when I was 10 years old. Wow 27 years ago and I still suck. Now I'm depressed. :(

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

It was one of those things I tried to start several times when I was younger. I just always let other things get in the way. Almost one year ago, just before my 30th, my wife and oldest daughter talked me into getting one. It has since become my addiction. I just wish I could find a way to get some practice in while I am sitting in Chicago traffic everyday.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I started playing a year ago, the summer before I came to college, because I was insanely jealous of my friends that had been playing since they were like 10 (and are INCREDIBLE). I'm coming along, I don't suck as much as I used to, and even if I never get famous, at least i've got something I love to do (but I need to lay off, and focus on my schoolwork!)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

i am somewhat like you, Morpheus (and one of the reasons i am new to these boards)... i played for about a year when i was 9... almost 30 years later, i purchased an alvarez and decided to commit more time to the guitar... glad i did :) and sorry i left for as long as i did :( , now i try to fit it in as best as i can with that constraint we call life :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I started at 10 and I'm 17 now... I haven't been playing as much as I used to but I'm trying to practice at least two hours a night, which isn't much really for me.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member

44 years ago, in 1961.

Kirk

Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

About one and a half years ago, right now I'm 15. I hope to be playing my whole life.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got a 16 year old kid who plays. He's way better than I am!
:P

Edit: My kid's 16! I've got CRSS!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member

started when i was 16, its been a year now, and im 17...... not a huge progess but im getting better. I just got my new electric(Ibanez Steve Vai Jem Series) , and love it.. I started on acoustics so that made my job much easier on the electric. I've also started taking guitar lessons so that should help me out too, and overall this has been a great experience....love playing my guitar, and love music .

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I actually first began playing when I was 13. I played for about 10 or 11 years before it became necessary to pawn my guitar in order to eat. I didn't pick one up again for over 20 years. My older sister passed away and left me her classical. That was nearly 3 years ago. So, I've either been playing 13-14 years or just less than 3, depending upon your perspective. (Personally, I think I'm back to about where I was in the fifth year or so. I've still got a way to go before I get back to where I was before my guitar went away.)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@oliver)
Eminent Member

I started playing when I became 19, I'm still 19. So, I play for 9 months. I don't it makes any difference when you start, it's you own attitude, your passion and the way you learn (and want to learn)

I know guitarists who play since the were 14 ( 17 now), they can't play very well. The play because there parents pay lessons and they want to be stars... :roll:

I also know people who play 6 months and there very good in my opinion. It's just what you make of it yourself

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's just what you make of it yourselfNot entirely. I believe there are some basic ability differences as in most everything else. But it does depend a lot on how much time and energy you put into it, and how much you like it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I am 16 now and i have no idea when i started. Like when I was 11 or 12. It was a while ago, thats about all i know. I started getting serious about it 1 year into it, so when i was 12 or 13. I am now very serious about playing (though i still do it mainly for enjoyment and the therapeutic properties).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

im 16 also ive been playing since i was twelve so that makes it 4 yrs

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member

music has been a part of my life since i first learned ot play some piano from my grandma which i eventually quit and picked up a guitar at around age 14. Now 16, i have had a great time learning and am continuing to learn as much as i can.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3