Clear all

When is a cover no longer a cover?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

We had a discussion on covers a while ago, and quite a few people appreciated covers more if it is brought in a somewhat different way. 'make it your own', so to speak.

Now I've been working on a cover of 'Fly me to the moon', something I've wanted to do for quite some time. I've got of a rough idea and some quick recordings of what I want it to be and it doesn't really sounds like the original much. (using Frank Sinatra's version as starting point) It is mostly in 6/8 instead of 4/4, it's much slower, there is a chorus, the entire feel is much 'sadder' then the upbeat original and it's purely instrumental (piano, bass, guitar). The chord progression of the verse is mostly the same and the riff is based around the original melody line. The idea was to take the original theme of the happiness and joy of a new relation and redo it as looking back at it, years later after the relation is over.

So what's this? A cover? A new song based on another song? Should this still be called 'fly me to the moon' or should it rather be called 'fly me back to earth'?

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

So what's this? A cover? A new song based on another song? Should this still be called 'fly me to the moon' or should it rather be called 'fly me back to earth'?

I don't know if you were being serious here, but I think that name is a great idea. ("Fly Me Back to the Earth") I think your whole approach is a really good idea. The theme being about the relationship after its over, looking back in the past, so the song takes on a whole new feel. Really interesting, and I'm looking forward to hearing it. (Assuming you'll do us the favor of posting it on Hear Here)

I'm not sure if it's still a cover, it sort of is, but to me it's more of a song inspired by the Fly me to the Moon.

Anyways, really cool idea Arjen...You've got me impressed with the idea alone!

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

There are several options for a description, I'd say.

"Arrangement" is common when reworking something existing. And "Tribute" is always popular when people pinch something but don't want to be nailed for it.... :wink:

Considering the amount of reworking you've done, maybe "Inspired by" would cover it. :)

Sounds like a nice idea anyway, and a title with your "back down to earth" theme sounds good.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Are you planning on reworking the lyrics, maybe to fit more the "Fly Me Back to Earth" theme? I think whether or not it is a cover really hinges more on the lyrics than on the music. If you sing all the same words, I think it would be more likely to be called a cover. I have heard some songs that are really different from the original but the words were the same and were still called a covers. Now on the other hand, something like Crossroad Blues (Clapton) and Travelling Riverside Blues (LZ), I wouldn't really say they were covers of Robert Johnson, certainly inspired by but I don't know if everyone would agree with that. Either way, I think it is a cool idea and hope that you share your creation.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I think its certainly a grey area. If, when you listen to it, you can identify the original song then I would say that its a cover. You made it your own, but its certainly the same song. But its sounds as if you have reworked it to the point where it may have some of the same qualities but not recognizable as the original.

Back when 80's metal was king, I wrote lyrics with the melody of a Skid Row song in my head. Took it to our guitarist, without telling him it was based on a Skid Row song, and he put a new melody to it. Really didnt sound like the original, but it had the same feel in a way. I still wouldnt have ever called it a cover. Sounds similar to what you've done.

I hope you post the song when you get a good recording.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just a thought, Arjen....if you've re-worked the original so radically that you feel the title needs changing, why not go all the way and write a song yourself called "Fly me back to earth" - play through your version of "FMTTM" first, then segue into your "FMBTE".....might make an interesting experiment?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

This is a very delicate subject. If you simply make the song "Fly me to the moon" an arrangement by Arjen, you'll be OK.

Change the title and not credit the composer of FMTTM, you're almost certainly into the realms of plagiarism. As long as "Fly me to the moon" is distinguishable (chord progressions, melody, etc), it's FMTTM and someone else's copyright (I assume there's still copyright, anyway).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Greybeard: I have no problem with making it very clear who wrote it. If I can find out who actually wrote it in the first place, doubt it is a original Sinatra song.

Vic: well, if I just wrote the whole song myself there wouldn't be a connection with FMTTM, which makes it pretty much pointless. I write everything else purely from scratch but this is a different kind of project.

Geoo: I do need to keep it so that people can hear it is based on FMTTM. So the melody starts of the same (tone wise, not rhythm wise) btu then takes on a different path.

Purple: no lyrics, a possible intro I'm thinking about excluded. Those 'lyrics' will make it obvious to anyone who knows the Sinatra version that it is based on it, and just states the theme to the rest.

Guess I'll stick to calling it a cover. Will post it when I've got some rough recording to give an impression,

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

System of a Down's version of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is when a cover is no longer a cover. and what a disgrace to the origional :?

ReplyQuote