when is a preview not a preview?

13 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

When its on the Easy Song Database!

Please can someone address this problem. I spent a lot of time this morning putting a Nirvana song on, there's strumming tips, timing, all sorts. And a helpful tab to go with it.......or so I thought. When I previewed it, it was 100% perfect. Now I have submitted it, it looks a pile of dogs dirt.

This is very frustrating. I can't be the only one that thinks "preview" means just that, see what it will end up like.

Any ideas?

Matt

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Matt

I had that same problem many times until I figured it out. The preview does not contain the section on your left where your avatar is. When you finally submit, that is going to be included and totally mess up your spacing.

So whatever you write, or any tab, cannot be very wide horizontally. Consider how much room your avatar is going to take up.

I have found it best to write your tab in Word using Courier or Courier New. Do not use more than half a page. Then highlight and copy. When you come here to post, hit "Code". Then paste your tab in. Then hit Preview, that will add the end Code tag and let you see how it came out.
If your tab is not too wide horizontally it will come out perfect. Sometimes
you have to go back and tighten it up.

I feel your pain. :(

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes

Problem is I did all that - code - preview, and it looked perfect, that's why I am so frustrated. I understand the width restriction but can't understand why the preview doesn't accurately predict how the final thing will look.

I will mess around and maybe post it over 2 lines.

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Matt

I just checked out your song, it looks fine to me. The B string on the last 2 measures is off one space, but other than that it's perfect. I know how frustrating it is to spend time making a perfect tab and then see it come out messed up. It has happened to me many times.

Also, it can come out differently on different computers. I did a tab once that looked perfect on my computer at home, but was all messed up on my computer at work.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes

Maybe that's it. I am looking at it from work and it looks rubbish, so I'll have to assume that to most people its ok.

Thanks for checking mate, nice one.

Here, you can give me a steer on something. Remember i asked about playing something like this -
------------------------
------------------------
-6-6--------------------
-6-6--6-6--4-4-4-4-4-4--
-4-4--6-6--4-4-4-4-4-4--
------4-4--2-2-2-2-2-2--

Well i am still having trouble with it. Its the first bit, moving the shape up from the A string as bass to the E string as bass. Do you take ALL your fingers off to do this? On my electric I am getting a lot of odd noises caused by taking my fingers off. Any help you can give?

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

On that first chord let your finger barre the 6th string as well. It is part of the chord anyway (it is the 5th tone), so even if you hit it accidentally it will still sound okay. But with careful picking you won't hit that note.

When you change like this you do not really pick your fingers up, but you do let up on the pressure just enough to slide quietly along the strings.

That is one of the secrets to playing long passages of barre chords without your hand totally cramping up. For instance, playing the rhythm guitar for Freebird by Lynard Skynard, the long solo. If you try to maintain constant pressure your hand will get real tired on that song. But when you make changes, you use that brief moment to let your hand relax. You will be surprised how that very brief moment of relaxation will enable you to play barre chords for a long time without your fretting hand falling off. :D

So, try letting the barre cover the 6th string on that first chord and let us know if that helps.

Thanks for the new tab too!

Wes

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

times like there I wish i had someone to SHOW me how to do it, I find 2 minutes of someone showing me this stuff is worth a thousand words!

But Wes as usual some well put advice, thanks a lot, I will give it a try and see how I get on.

Its driving me mad, I am pretty good acoustic player but the transition to electric is harder than i thought, so many songs are played with either pwer chords or partial chords including bass notes, just not been my cup of tea thus far. Practice I guess.

All the best and thanks again

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Matt

Hang in there. Barre chords are tough. You might even notice some pain going up that muscle (don't know the name) on the top of your forearm.
But after awhile your hands and arms get strong and then barres will seem very easy.

Just to make that clear about the barre, I have altered your tab:

--------------------------------
--------------------------------
-6-6---------------------------
-6-6----6-6--4-4-4-4-4-4--
-4-4----6-6--4-4-4-4-4-4--
-4-4----4-4--2-2-2-2-2-2--

So you see I have added the note at the 4th fret on the 6th string to your tab. Use your index finger to fret this, but don't pick it. I often hold "barre A" type chords this way. You should find the transition much easier this way. You only have to really move the finger(s) you are using to play the 5th and Octave notes on the chords. Even there, just pick your fingers up just enough to change strings. And use that moment to totally relax your hand. The only time you keep pressure is if you want to hear a sliding noise between chords.

Don't give up Matt. I am proud to be a guitar player. It takes guts and determination to play guitar. You would never want to get in a fight with a guitar player, they don't give up!

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes

With advice like this, its not like I have an excuse to give up, you guys really do help us out.

Big thanks

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

One of the biggest reasons I come on GuitarNoise (besides that I don't know when to shut up) is because I CLEARLY remember how hard it was to learn to play this 6 string monster. I never had lessons. I learned almost everything from trial and error. And I remember so many times where I got down and frustrated.

I still get frustrated. I've been playing over 30 years. And I play a lot. I practiced about 3 hours last night and that is normal for me. I should be on the cover of Rolling Stone by now. I mean, I can play well, but for all the time I've put in I should be a master (and I'm not at all).

But I tell ya, the guitar is just like a true friend. It has given me so much enjoyment. I would not go back and trade all those frustrating hours for anything. I have loved every moment, even when I felt like I was the worst player in the world at times.

So, I know what you and others are going through. So I want to encourage you not to ever give up. You will get good if you stay at it.

It is great. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Crickey, my whole office is buzzing with the enthusiasm radiated from your last post Wes!

But I agree totally.

I have 12 months living on my own 2 years ago. My word I did some practice, it wasn't uncommon to fit in 6 - 8 hours a day at weekends, and at least 5 hours a night during the week. That's how I got pretty good on acoustic. Should have spent some of that time on Barre's !!!

Now I am living with my better half, my practice time has bombed to about 30 minutes a night. Trouble is when you only have that amount of time, the tendency is to think "I only have 30 minutes, I'll play that song that I know pretty well 'cos i like it"....and 30 minutes later (in the blink of an eye) you have played a handful of songs that you can already play, and then its time to pack up. not easy!

This is a GREAT instrument we are playing. And i love every minute of it too, just wish there were a few more minutes.

How you fit in 3 hours a day is beyond me, you have a family if I remember correctly?

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I have a family, but I am such a naturally annoying person that everyone is glad for me to go off and practice as long as I keep it down. :D

I am glad if I am an encouragement, that makes me feel good. I think part of it is my Dad was a very successful baseball coach for many years.
He coached Little League (10-12) and Junior League (13-15). He was an awesome coach, he won 5 Florida State Championships. He could take little kids who had never played ball before and make a Championship team out of them. Just a great guy, I am truly blessed. So, I probably spout out way more advice than people ask for, I think I got that from him.

But believe me, I get on people's nerves. Ask my better half! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes

Passing on any sort of knowledge, be it sporting, technical, guitar, etc etc is a gift and a very valuable one - it gives the person giving the knowledge out a great feeling, and the recipient.

I am good at tutoring people, do it every day in a way. And i am now teaching my better half how to play guitar - and i am loving it! None of us should forget how hard those first chords are, how your fingers just won't go where you want them to! Teaching a real beginner is a great way to remind yourself how important accurate fretting is, and timing.

You have that gift, for sure, and this place is a great place to use it.

Thanks for everything you have contributed.

Matt

ReplyQuote