Notifications
Clear all

where to go from a lick or riff

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@yankos243)
Topic starter  

Ok im playing around around and happed to find a cool sounding lick or riff. It to me sounds like a cool beginning to a song but i dont know how to get a sweet rythm and finish the song. Say im playing a cool intro in Am pentatonic but every major or minor or power chord i try playing within that scale seems not to "fit" the melody of the intro. any pointers on what to do from here. and if i intend to throw a solo in there where would i start ?do i playing the pentatonic scale from like the 12 fret down or what? I do know some advanced theory but am clueless on how to use it in the music and im a horrible at soloing HElp.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There's all sorts of things you can do. You can borrow :roll: someone else's progression but put your own slant or style on it.

Am??

Try the old Am, G, F, G progression. This is used in many songs like Don't Fear the Reaper, or All Along the Watchtower (same progression in C#m).

Songs have structure. You have a cool riff, maybe use this for an intro, or you can play it over the verses. Then figure out a chorus for the end of each verse. A simple song structure might be:

Intro
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Solo (played over one verse and chorus)
Verse
Chorus
Outro

That is a pretty standard song structure.

As for a solo, try copying the vocal melody. It always works. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote