Clear all

Where to go from here?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Basically I've reached a point where I'm playing the same stuff over and over, without getting any better along the way. I'm sure I read somewhere before now that this is a sign to "take it to the next level!" Only problem is, what IS the next level?

To date I can;

Play all of the "standard" chords (Em E Am A D Dm G C F B Bm and so forth)
Many of the variations on these chords
A Am E and Em shaped Barre chords (both full and partial for electric)
Major and minor pentatonic scales
I have begun to pick out songs to play by ear (not fun to begin with but I shall perservere!)
Playing around with Drop C for stuff like Mudvayne, Disturbed and Trapt
Working on my singing (painful! :))
Improvising solo's
Creating fingerstyle arrangements for popular / chart songs
Writing my own fingerstyle arrangements

My writing has been put on hiatus, as lately I've been very uninspired, and everyhting I try to write comes out as a bunch of clichés and repetative sentiment.

Im thinking of trying out C shaped barre's and learning more of the "lesser-used" chords.

Any other things I should be working on / considering? Or is it mainly just the case of trying to find new, more challenging material?

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I don't know how much help this will be, because it is not really something I've ever experienced personally. People talk about their playing reaching a plateau. I simply never felt like that. There is so much to playing guitar, I always felt there was so much to learn and so little time to learn it.

Try different things. Whenever I am in a rut or bored with my playing I like to experiment with different styles. I have always studied Jazz especially, for me that will get me out of a rut quick. I don't really know their scales, but the chords alone are very refreshing to me. Sometimes you gotta get away from Major and Minor chords.

Recording is a great way to improve and get out of a rut because you must play perfect. This will really highlight your weaknesses. You cannot help but improve as a player as you try to make the best recording possible. And you can use what you know now. Your singing will improve also as you strive for the best vocals. It's a great way to improve your skills.

And if possible try to find others to jam with. You always pick up lots of ideas and tricks from others, and have fun too.

My 2 cents. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

When I get in a rut, I go into a different tuning. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

My guitar teacher and I were talking about this same thing last night. I told him every since I started taking lessons he has thrown material at me that was at too high of a level for me. I didnt say this in a mean way but I wanted him to know that I was feeling like performing his things were difficult for me. He said that, basically, I could learn guitar on my own but that the purpose for him being there was to push me to play harder and harder things so that I could advance better.

So, I'd say find a peice that you wouldnt normally play. Something that looks a little too tough and and sit there hammering it out until you get it.

Good luck to ya

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Wes - can you please post the fingerings of half a dozen Jazz chords please - thanks.

Pete - I am nowhere near as accomplished as you, but like Wes I seem to be able to find new things to try all te time. The other day I started trying an acoustic version of Layla which introduced me to two new chords which I really like, hence my interest in Jazz chords.

I have loads of reference material so I just change tack when bored. I have a fingerstyle DVD which frustrates the hell out of me, so I try that now and again. I also have a book* that has a number of different playing styles in, so I sometimes flick through that and pick something out to try. Again, the majority of the book is lost on me.

So much to learn, so little time!

*Totally Guitar: The Definitive Guide by Tony Bacon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Can you play all the major and minor pentatonics in all five positions?

How about your chords - can you play (say) E in five different shapes.

Can you play [insert favourite song here] behind your head with your eyes shut in a Polish wine bar whilst simultaneously drinking a bottle of Sol and singing La Marsellaise

There are always plenty of new things to try.

When I'm in a rut, I plug in the electric, mess around with half a dozen different sounds, record something and multitrack something else over it - in short, do something experimental.

The nice thing about being a classical player is that when you do ramp up a Marshall to "Full" it's not the same old same old and there's no expectation about how it's going to turn out.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@forresal)
Eminent Member

Can you play [insert favourite song here] behind your head with your eyes shut in a Polish wine bar whilst simultaneously drinking a bottle of Sol and singing La Marsellaise

I was just going to try that very thing....

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I was just going to try that very thing....

:lol:

i can already do that whlie playing "crossroads", but blindfolded and both hands tied behind my back.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

How will you play the guitar while your hands are tied ?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

How will you play the guitar while your hands are tied ?

Sorry Rahul man, but you asked, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXs16_H18k

Anyway man, I'd say learn something different, like Wes said try jazz or something out of your element.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Great!! Thanks for that OHG.

I'm now going to put all my gear on ebay and find something else to do with my time. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Cool vid.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies guys! Real good advice there!

Im definately going to be recording in a few weeks once I get back to my Uni apartment and have access to my equipment again. That should make for some fun! :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote