who are your influences?

111 Posts
65 Users
0 Likes
18.8 K Views
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

after catching Cream on public television I realized how influencial they were on my guitar playing.
specifically it was the tone of Claptons guitar. unconsciously, that is the tone Ive been working to get for years. (I have it now).

other influences were Keith Richard and Neil Young. I like both of their playing styles. my attitude is similar to Youngs when I play.

interesting are two influences that I came to realize late in life came from music my parents listened to when I was learning to walk.
my mom adored Harry Belafonte and Mariam Macuba(sp?). my dad listened to steel guitar country.
I have a keen interest in world music (mom) and I am learning pedal steel guitar and playing old country(dad).

so what have you learned about yourself and influences.?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

(@mellowmood)
Eminent Member

Jerry Garcia, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Clapton, and Trey

Live to play
Love to live
=
love to play 8p

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Zakk Wylde, Jerry Cantrell, Angus Young, Jimi Hendrix, & Dave Mustaine.

My tone is a mix of all these artist. Even though I cant play their style exactly but I have learned a little from each. I definitly think my agressive lead style was heavily influenced by Zakk even if my speed isnt up to par with his. But my hard blues sound is from Angus and Cantrell. Hendrix is for my love of octaves and distortion. And Mustaine "master of the riffs" as I call him, is just inspiring.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

In some ways I guess I've been influenced to some degree by almost everyone I've seriously listened to - but I'll give it a go:

T-Bone Walker
Lightnin' Hopkins
Buddy Guy
BB King
Django Reinhardt
Mike Bloomfield
Peter Green
Albert Collins
Chris Spedding
Larry Coryell
John Scofield
Terje Rypdal
Brian Thiessen

but the biggest single influence on my music, if not my playing, must be a sax player - the one & only Jan Garbarek 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Well after my almost two years of playing I'd have to say I've learned majority Gilmour, Hendrix, Frusicante material

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Hendrix, Page, Van halen, Hammet, Malmsteen, Satriani, Jason Becker, Rhoads, Mustaine, Tony Iommi

Becker, Van Halen, Hendrix and Satriani are the biggest influences though.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mine is paul mcartney and david hodge (both lefty :wink:) i am not biased towars lefty guitarist , its just turns out that the most famous out there are the lefties only.

Hendrix will be my idol when i start playing electric....

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

my idols may also include 'kishore kumar'.Well he is a indian singer and used to be the king of all hindi songs...

that maybe a bit out of the matter but i felt guilty leaving him out from my idols...(and even kishore kumar was a lefty , not entirely but used to be ambidextrous :twisted: )

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yoda and Foghorn Leghorn 8)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

A whole bunch of different people, I would say. In no particular order, other than how the pop into my head:

David Gilmore
Stevie Ray Vaughn
John Petrucci (sp?)
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page

Those are the main ones that when I listen to them, I just think, "Wow!" Some for their "chops". Some for the tone. Some for the incredible phrasings and combinations they play.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Nils, David Hodge, Taso, Crank-n-Jam, Geoo, Greybeard, Chris_C...

OHHH...you meant FAMOUS influences! Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Lifeson (Rush), Ted Nugent, Keith Urban (current influence), Bob Seger...

These are only a few...

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Randy Rhoads, Van Halen, Slash.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Miles Davis, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, David Gilmore, Trey Anastatio, Mark Knopfler.

Hmm...looking at the other entries it looks like I'm not alone.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Jimmy Page! How could I forget Jimmy Page, Banre? But not the Jimmy Page of LZ - more the wonderfully sensitive collaborator with Al Stewart on 'Love Chronicles'. That album more than any other showed me the possibilities of acoustic & electric guitars working together ... Respect!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Jimmy Page! How could I forget Jimmy Page, Banre? But not the Jimmy Page of LZ - more the wonderfully sensitive collaborator with Al Stewart on 'Love Chronicles'. That album more than any other showed me the possibilities of acoustic & electric guitars working together ... Respect!

Love Chronicles...interesting. when did that come out?
is it old?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 8