Skip to content
will this kill my g...

Notifications
Clear all

will this kill my guitar(keep in tune with whammy bar)

25 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

okay something(EVH interview) said if i tape a quarter under my bridge, it'll stay in tune better with the wahmmy bar. will this kill my guitar(kramer pacer series)

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It might stay in tune better but, I don't think you will get your whammy to sound right.

When you pull on the whammy, you are bending your bridge. If you have a coin under it, it's not going to bend as far.

Two cents on the dollar.

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

okay something(EVH interview) said if i tape a quarter under my bridge, it'll stay in tune better with the wahmmy bar. will this kill my guitar(kramer pacer series)

yes, it will explode. :twisted:

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The point is that it gets stuck, so it can't move much, if at all. This will keep it in tune better, but you might just screw it more tightly to the body. This will increase overall sustain as well.

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'LL EXPLODE YOUR GUITAR MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

The point is that it gets stuck, so it can't move much, if at all. This will keep it in tune better, but you might just screw it more tightly to the body. This will increase overall sustain as well.

If that is the case, then putting a coin under the bridge would probably be pointless... you could just block the tremelo and turn it into a fixed bridge.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT THE BAR!!!!!!!!! IF I WERE A RICHINGTON ID BUY LOCKING TUNERS!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

what are you doing anyway? whammy the hell out of every note you play?? whammy bars are really not all that important, learn how to bend notes. You don't need to or have to DIVE bomb every note you strike on the guitar! which is what it sounds like to me you are doing! I have another guitar with a whammy, and i garuentee you, that guitar is a cheaper piece of crap than what your using and it doesn't lose it's tuning,,, but then again, i'm not a whammy nut either. i play maybe 3 songs that you use the whammy in them maybe once! 8) :shock: 8) :twisted:

anything else i need is at the step of my foot bro!

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

i agree with marshall man..i took my fender strat and tightened the spring on my bridge so that the bridge is fixxed...its flat against the body...Buddy Holly did this to get better tone and sustain...Learn to bend the notes Rock on Marshall...right on bro

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Right, and how is that going to get you a Gilmour-vibrato? See, you can actually use the whammy for more then divebombs. And having both a normal 'vibrato bridge' and a floyd, I can tell you the Floyd is a massive improvement.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm perfectly able to read, although I am still in the dark what you ment with that. But I do know that you said whammy bars weren't important (as if bending strings is a supplement for vibrato bridges!), locking was only needed for divebombs and vibrato-bars in general weren't good for much more. In retrurn, I explain that locking nuts do have advantages, that you can do much more then divebombs and that vibrato-briges are quite usefull.

However, if you have something near your foot that would suddenly make this all obsolete, I would love to hear what that would be. And on a sidenote: chill out. No need to wave all those !!?!?!?!?!? signs all over the place. It's a guitar forum, not a battleground...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Can you give me the name of the effect that will sound like Gilmour-vibrato? Or do you mean you can just replace a certain technique with a pedal?

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

there are hundreds, here is just an example...

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Guitar-Tremolo-and-Vibrato-Effects--2635 These are just some, your want Gilmours and a couple links down below should tell you what he uses.

here is a link to the gear that gilmore uses and yes he uses a vibrato pedal.. check it out.
http://www.angelfire.com/band/thepinkfloyd/gilmourgear.html

here is another site you may find interesting...about gilmore's setup

http://www.tnmotorsports.com/Gilmour.htm

I also read somewhere where his pedal board was made by Custom Audio Electronics. And that he sometimes records direct with a Zoom 9030 multi-effects ... bending, and vibrato than playing fast ...etc etc etc

How i wish there was a pedal to switch off sinus problems.....LOL

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the links :)

Somehow I'm having the idea we're talking about different 'gilmour vibrato sounds'. I'm more reffering to the final World Tour where, as far as I could see, he pretty much uses whammy vibrato exclusively, and finger vibrato on the accoustics. Haven't ever seen him use those pedals live, do you know if they were more of a studio/earlier thing?

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

Arjen, that is a very good question. I know he used those effects on the earlier recordings. I have never seen him live so i couldn't say one way or the other. Maybe he did use that stuff live back in the early days and then he didn't on the final tour. that would only prove how great of a guitar player he rreally has become in my opinion.

Did you see them live? If you did, your a lucky man!

But to me if a person is experiencing tuning problems from a whammy, then they are either using it too much, or bending it to far or the thing is defective...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2