Clear all

Woo Hoo! -- New pedal

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This should probably go in From Here to There, but I got yet another pedal recently in my never ending quest for great tones... The BBE Sonic Stomp.

BBE Sonic Stomp

A few weeks back a few of us GN members were discussing compressors on another thread. I mentioned how I hated how compressors "squashed" my bass tones. The only way to describe it is to say it made my bass strings (especially the low E) sound like rubber bands. Some might like this, but I hated it. I like all my strings to have a little bite to them. :twisted:

Anyway, I think it was slejhamer who suggested the BBE OptoStomp that was favored by many bass players. I started looking at the BBE boxes and reading lots of reviews. The Sonic Stomp really got outstanding reviews so I took the chance and ordered one.

Well, let me tell you, this is really an outstanding pedal. It is supposed to be the famous Sonic Maximizer in stomp box form. The Sonic Maximizer has been pretty famous in PA circles for years, and I have heard and used them, but was not overly impressed. Our bass player Dom has one for his bass (rack version) and it is ok, but nothing mindblowing. Regardless, the reviews were outstanding so I took a chance. And I'll tell ya, 10 seconds after I fired it up I knew I loved it. It has all the characteristics of a good compressor with none of the negatives. It really brings your tone out in the open, super full. They advertise that it is like taking the blanket off your amp. Well, that may sound silly, but that is exactly what it sounds like. You have to switch it on and off a few times to hear what it is really doing. Man, I had pretty great tone I was happy with, but now it is so much better. It gives great fullness and warmth which is why I had been using a compressor. This is really the only reason I used a compressor. I dislike how a compressor totally ruins your dynamics and especially how it made my bass strings sound rubbery.

But this pedal does not squash your bass at all, my strings have great presence and bite to them. And it really brings out your highs too.

It seems like I have to use slightly different settings for each amp I've tried it with, but I like higher settings between 8 and 9 (out of 10).

Anyway, if you are looking for a pedal that will give your amp amazing fullness and presence, try one of these out. It is really great. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis