Clear all

Wrist Pain

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bacio24)
Topic starter  

Hey Board,

What's up people? I'm having a serious problem with my guitar playing. I have been playing for about 6 years and in the last few months i've been doing a ton of finger exercises. Whenever i pick up the guitar for the first time in the day, or if hours go by without playing, i have to sort of "break my hands in." They're stiff until i push them hard and then all of a sudden they get a lot looser and i can play to my ability. Then I'll pick a hammer on type thing and i'll do it until my left hand is physically burning in the wrist. I'll do the same thing tremolo picking with my right hand sometimes, until i feel it burn really well. I don't know why it takes me so long to warm up and it's so frustrating, and i thought all the burning in my hands was good, just lactic acid buildup, making my hands stronger, but i talked to my old guitar teacher and he said i shouldn't be having that pain. Has anyone had similar problems or any suggestions? I'm trying to be all the guitar player i can be, and this is killing me.

Thank you,
Justin

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hey Justin, welcome to guitarnoise! I dont think its good, but Ive never had that problem, so i dont know.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@creem)
Eminent Member

If I'm doing a lot of comping, playing a lot of chunky patterns which take a lot of pressure and left hand muting, my left hand will sometimes cramp up. The only answer I can give you is keep doing it. In my experience, I just have to build up endurance.

Other than that, if you really think it's not improving, maybe you should get a medical checkup; maybe you have bad joints or something.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

If you feel burning pain in your wrist STOP playing and rest your hand, this could be a symptom of a more serious problem. try somthing like advil, and maybe ice. if this keeps up go see a doctor.--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

Hey man! My names Justin too! Isn't that cool? Okay...whatever, back to the point. I think it might be from you not taking enough breaks when your wrist started hurting in all your 6 years of playing. I would suggest getting it checked by a doctor. (This coming from a guy who broke his nose and never bothered).

I hope for you sake that its nothing serious developing...

L8er fellow Justin

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi, Bacio24, and welcome to Guitarnoise.

By spooky coincidence, I've just bumped a thread about forearm pain up to the top of this forum.

I cannot emphasise enough the importance of warming up before you play. I recommend everybody read this thread and the one about forearm pain.

Turning to your particular problem, any kind of pain is wrong and you should get it checked out as has already been suggested.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Muscular pain is a good thing. That's just part of exercise. Joint pain, like you have, is a very bad thing, and needs to be taken seriously.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

Muscular pain isn't always a good thing...for example when you pull a muscle or sprain your finger or something.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

And if your muscles cramp up, imitate a monkey and eat a banana! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote