Notifications
Clear all

you say tomatoes........

49 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Hank Snow, the great country singer, came from Nova Scotia. he was famous for his articulation in his singing. 'I've Been Everywhere' is a tongue twister that only he could manage. I wonder how he pronounced capo.?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

I will now call it a "fret lobster" to avoid any confusion.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hank Snow, the great country singer, came from Nova Scotia. he was famous for his articulation in his singing. 'I've Been Everywhere' is a tongue twister that only he could manage.
I had it in mind that Rolf Harris had done a version of that song, but wasn't totally sure, so I googled it and found that it has not only been recorded by many singers, it's also been changed to suit different countries, states and several other things, including types of hair found in food.
I was a little surprised to find that it was written by an Aussie, naming Australian towns.
I've_Been_Everywhere

Yer live 'n learn

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member

Yes i seem to recall a johnny cash version, but its definitely an aussie song! (i'm an ex-pat living in scotland now)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

'I've Been Everywhere' was written by an Aussie? it is such an Americana classic sung and performed in the early 50's. I am shocked.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

...it's also been changed to suit different countries, states and several other things, including types of hair found in food.

I've lost track of the number of times I have been in a room full of drunken revelers and sang along to the McLean&McLean version.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"I've been everywhere" was discussed a year or so back - one of the English lads (Pete from Luton, forgot his GN name - he's changed it a couple of times) did a version with English place names. I think it was Chris C who pointed out is was originally an Aussie song.

Just remembered - Pete's now known as Embrace The Darkness. Haven't seen him round for a while.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

"puente."

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I do say tomatoes cauz they make good salad.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I'll stick to the original, latin pronunciation, thanks.

Well - I say CAPPO (kah-po) myself.
Though my Southside Chicago accent also has me pronounce Italian as EYE-talian.

Ken

You speak like French too :wink:

But as a french canadian, I'd say KAPPO in french and KAYPO in English...

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I just thought I'd point this out - if you look on Wikipedia, there's a wealth of information about capos, unfortunately how to pronounce the word is not part of that info. However - if you type in "capo" and look at the bottom of the page for External Links, it'll take you straight to a Guitarnoise lesson from Mr Hodge....The Underappreciated Art Of Using A Capo.

Score one for our David!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Those bots are constantly monitoring our conversations.
And reporting all that we say.
If you are paranoid, this should freak you out.
If you are egotistical, you take this for granted.
If you are shy, you won't post.
If you're female, you're flattered.
If you're male, you understand a bot has no life.
If you don't know what a bot is, see Who is Online (or read George Orwell's 1984? :shock: )
They walk among us, those bots - cute little bugs.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Bots can burrow inside us, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

Hey Ken

Which post were you referring to? I'm very careful in my internet-speak due to the fact that I know any one can google me or my IP address so I guess I agree on the Orwell reference. Lots of books and stories that were published in 1948 were prescient beyond their current estimation (The Lottery, anyone? An interesting phenomenon for those who don't know)

Who said something personally damaging because I think I missed it :? .

Are you any relation to the KR that often appears as a guest on the show in my sig? If so, you rule.

Peace,
Jicky

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hey Ken

Which post were you referring to? I'm very careful in my internet-speak due to the fact that I know any one can google me or my IP address so I guess I agree on the Orwell reference. Lots of books and stories that were published in 1948 were prescient beyond their current estimation (The Lottery, anyone? An interesting phenomenon for those who don't know)

Who said something personally damaging because I think I missed it :? .

Are you any relation to the KR that often appears as a guest on the show in my sig? If so, you rule.

Peace,
Jicky
The post I was referring to was Vic's. He mentioned the link to GN from Wikipedia when he used it to look up capo.
The links are probably due to the bots fetching their information and bringing it back to their "masters".

Nothing damaging was said. Just the opposite: kudos to David Hodge for being cited by the bot (or whomever).

No relationship to the First Edition guy . . . not that I know of anyway. But I rule anyway.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4