Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic-electric - The most basic question possible

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@amandajh)
Topic starter  

I would love some help on this super simple question that I bet 9 out of 10 people could probably help me with. I've had my li'l acoustic electrict takamine guitar for a few years, but except for the day that I tried it out in the store, i have NEVER plugged it in. Yesterday, my dear grandma gave me a Marshall MS-2 micro amp that she had but never used (she was going to learn to play the guitar...yeah she's that cool). So now I figure, hey, I should plug it in.

But then I realized that I don't know what in the world to use to connect the guitar and the amp. I don't even know what the device would be called, let alone a good brand or model number or something.

So first of all, what is the device called that connects an acoustic electric guitar to an amp? A cable? A plug? Second of all, which one should I get (based off of compatibility, price, quality). Finally, where should I get this?

Thanks!!!!!

(@alangreen)

Yes, it's called a cable, and it has a standard 1/4 inch jack at each end.

Brand names? Your guitar shop will have loads - avoid the cheap thin ones, you want to sound decent, and you won't need a top price cable yet. Stick it in the guitar and the amp and twiddle knobs until you get something you like the sound of.

However, as you've had the guitar for years and not plugged it in, you'll need a battery before you get to hear anything. There will be a battery cover somewhere around the EQ sliders on your guitar and it'll probably want one of those square 9V batteries but check it before you go shopping. Unplug the cable at the guitar end when you're not using it through the amp because that's what eats up battery power. And when your sound suddenly starts sounding complete rubbish, the battery will be dead and need changing.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

As a beginner, I had to idea what to buy when looking for a guitar cable.

I just went into the store and said "I need a guitar cable and would like to spend about $20". They gave me a couple of choices and that was it. You should have no problem finding a nice cable for $20.

Knowing what I do now, I ended up getting a decent cable for $20 - that is the max you should have to spend. Don't spend less than $10.

You will also want to know what length of cable you want... you probably won't need more than 10 feet unless you are on stage.

Also, they will probably ask what kind of guitar... usually that is to determine if you need a cable with a straight jack at the end or one that has a 90 degree at the end. For your guitar, you could go with either... but I would probably recommend the one with the 90 degree on it. So, you can tell them up front if you want.

"I need a 10 foot guitar cable with a 90 degree jack on the end and I am looking to spend about $20".

One more thing... have you changed your guitar strings yet? Make sure to do that. If you need help with that, just ask for advice here or at the store. My personal favorite are "Silk and Steel" acoustic strings... very soft and nice feel. They have a softer, folkier sound, rather than a bright loud sound... but I like that. I have tried multiple brands and have no brand preference. Remember to give the guitar a good cleaning while you have the strings off... it is the perfect time. I just use a microfiber cloth ($2 at Walmart checkout). I have never had to use any cleaning products... so I would not know what to suggest if it is really dirty/grimey.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

If you haven't played the guitar in a while, the jacks inside your guitar and your amp might have some corrosion on them. This will result in you hearing some static, especially if you twist the jack in the plug or jiggle the cable.

There are many ways to clean it and my way is the best for me (I live in Florida, near the Ocean).

I use a product by Caig called De-Oxit on the end of a cotton swab. It's the best cleaner I've found. I clean the jack and the plug if needed (new cable plugs should be clean)

After that I dry it off with another swab, put a light coating of Caig Pro-Gold on the jack and immediately plug it into the jack giving it a few twists. This slows down the rate of oxidation and supposedly makes a better connection. I don't know about the connection, but it does slow the corrosion.

I've found both these products on-line, and they also carry them in my local Radio Shack store. Even with frequent applications, they last a long time.

And I also use Pro-Gold on the battery terminals.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@amandajh)
Topic starter  

thank you everyone so much for your responses, i will now use ur knowledge for my own personal gains. :)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

thank you everyone so much for your responses, i will now use ur knowledge for my own personal gains. :)
Let us know how you get on. We've been trying to use that knowledge for our own personal gain for years and only Noteboat and David Hodge seem to have cracked it.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I use their knowledge also . . . for my own personal gains . . . for financial gains, I seek advice elsewhere.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

No financial gains here but I have learned a lot from the people here and I knew a fair bit coming in. You can always learn.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Yep I hope to use everyone :twisted: on my way to the top

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Heck, I've used you all on the way to the bottom.

On official forms, I list my profession as phenomenally unsuccessful guitarist. But I'm having a heck of a time

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote