Skip to content
Acoustic saddle adj...

Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic saddle adjustment causes tone change?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When you shave a tiny fraction off of a saddle on an acoustic guitar…is possible to lose some BASS?

The action one of my acoustics was a little high. I used FRETS.COM as a guide and first checked the nut and truss, and they seemed ok.

I shaved a hair off the bottom of the saddle (just a hair..not wanting to mess anything up), and maybe I'm imagining it, but my guitar seems a tad tinnier or thinner sounding. I shaved it evenly and flat on the bottom.

My imagination or could I have done something wrong?

Dennis

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

There is the potential that tone can be lost when you lower the saddle on an acoustic guitar. But the amount you describe removing should not have made that much of a difference. I suggest you take the saddle back out and make sure it is as flat on the bottom as possible. Also make sure there is no debris in the slot causing the saddle to not make full contact. They key is to make sure the saddle sits as flat as possible.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils. Will check for a flat fit.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Nils....WOW. A BIG THANKS. :D

I pulled the saddle and put it on a flat edge, and sure enough...I had a nice little curve in it.

The problem was...when I originally put the sandpaper on the kitchen counter, I put some newspaper under it and I didn't use a straight edge. I was too concerned about protecting the countertop :oops: This time...I put down some newspaper, and THEN the straight edge, and then sandpaper. Nice and straight now.

Oh man!!!!!!!!! What a difference. A nice full tone. Not tinny any more.

Nils, thanks again.
Dennis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Nils....WOW. A BIG THANKS. :D
Dennis
Glad it worked out for you. It was what I kind of suspected. I use a mirror tile that I put felt on the back of. I can set it down anywhere and get a perfect straight edge every time.

Enjoy

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A mirror. :!:

I have to remember that. A great idea.

Dennis

ReplyQuote