Clear all

Action?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This may be a stupid question, but here goes....

I just made a bit of a jump in string gauge on my electric: .11s to .9s. I've since noticed buzzing, as well as something else which is a bit weird: When I fret a note, I don't have to use much pressure due to the low string action. But I've noticed that when I push down harder for whatever reason (making sure not to bend the string at all in the process) The pitch goes up a 1/4 tone or so. The result is that my chords and riffs are all a bit too high! I'm planning to raise the action as soon as I get a hold of a socket set, but do you think this is the issue?

Thank you

:)

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Could be your intonation is off. I find I have to reset the intonation on my Tele when I change string guage. Set your action first, then check the notes at the 12th fret with a tuner.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I do that by adjusting the bridge saddle right?

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No, what's happened is that your lighter strings aren't bending the neck forward as much. It's bending back, putting the strings too close to the frets. The truss rod needs to be adjusted, slacking off the tension. Leave the bridge alone.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the tip :D

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The pitch shifting occurs as you press harder on the string? Bet you have jumbo or high frets -- if so, you are likely shifting the pitch by increasing the string tension as you press harder. This is actually another, less commonly used method of "bend" and vibrato. I doubt you are actually shifting quite as much as 1/4 tone, but I'm sure it's significant. You will have to learn to use a lighter and more consistent touch with lighter strings.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes, all the above. I meant relief when I wrote action, do what Ricochet said first. Learn how to press lightly on 9's, as Gnease said, THEN check your intonation (intonation is directly related to string mass and, therefore, string guage). You should be all set.
One other potential problem with lower guage strings is that the tension (of the strings) is less so you may need to pick more lightly to avoid fret buzz... or raise your action.
slothrob

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

about the fret buzz, is the buzzing audiable through the amp? if not, then you may even still have room to lower the action. my strings buzz all the time, but i cant hear it when my guitar is plugged in, because the pickups dont pick it up. this happens with lighter guage strings.

ReplyQuote