Clear all

adjusting action

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have made the leap form my old classical guitar, to a Squire affinity series strat. (Im amazed at the low action) But the low E string is buzzing against the first fret, and the next fret whenever I note it. And the string seems to be lower than all of the others, so my question is, how do I adjust the action on this low e string?
Thank you for your time,
-Preacher

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you can raise the low E string side of the bridge . first measure the distance, then carefully adjust the screw and watch which way the bridge moves (up or down). measure again and check by fretting the string. sometimes this is enough. if it works you may need to readjust the saddle to correct intonation. you move the saddle forward or backward.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Raising the bridge might do it but it will take a big adjustment to make a small difference at the nut. It's worth trying but it might cause too big a change at the higher fret positions. The low E string nut slot may be cut too low. That may mean getting a new nut. It would be cheaper to shim it though that would then mean cutting down the other nut slots afterwards.

If the guitar is new and still within the warranty / return period and the bridge adjustment doesn't do it for you then take it back and get another one.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Well, there are usualy two things you can do:

#1, raise the entire bridge - with a Squire Affinity this means loosening the 6 screws that hold the bridge to the guitar. You could loosen just the E and A screws to see if that lifts up the bridge, or looseng all the screws and raise the entire thing up.

#2, adjust the E string's saddle height. This should be done first, as it sounds like your E string is sitting lower. This is done by using an allen wrench (that should have come with the guitar) to raise only the saddle for that string.

As stated, given that the string rattle is coming from near the nut it could be that the nut is cut too deeply for that string. That is probably the issue given the entry-level nature of the Squier.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote