Clear all

Adjusting the truss rod

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I'm almost done installing new pickups on my guitars and I was going to give them both new setups on my own. Now, I'm pretty confident that I can do it but unfortunately I don't think I have the original allen keys that are used to adjust the truss rod. Can I use another allen key so long it is the right size/type? Or do I have to call the manufacturer?

Steve-0

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

As long as it is the right size (close doesn't count here, gotta be exact), then it'll be fine.
The manufacturer's logo on the tool won't make a difference (except price).

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot, I was going to buy a big set of allen keys anyways, along with a feeler gauge set and anything else I might need to do a set-up.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Just a standard warning, don't turn the truss rod adjustment to far, try like 1/8 of a turn at a time.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And give it time to settle.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

A tip that may seem obvious, but I missed it when I was also getting the tools for a setup: get the allen wrenches that are all separate, not the ones that fold out like a swiss army knife! I didn't realize this until too late, and it was a total pain to use the all-in-one things to adjust the truss rod for me. (I even remember thinking in the store, "Who would pay *more* just to have them all separate? How dumb.")

But anyway, a little Googling should help you narrow down what size to use for what guitar; come to think of it, asking here might be quicker and more accurate, too. ;)

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks, I've been reading up a bit more and I was just wondering, what tools do I need for nut re-shaping?

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Took out a very bad joke, though it pains me to do it... :P

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Took out a very bad joke, though it pains me to do it... :P

I think I might deserve it for using "tool" and "nut" in the same sentence. :)

If anyone does know what I would type of chisels you need for that kind of work though it would be helpful. Stewmac has alot of chisels and they are all really expensive, I suppose I could get that kind of work done by a tech (I don't want to spend +$100 on tools alone) but I'd like to see if it's plausible to do it myself.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hey, thanks, I've been reading up a bit more and I was just wondering, what tools do I need for nut re-shaping?

Sanding and filing type tools.

Unless you are making a new one from scratch, then maybe a small saw to cut it to width.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nah, I would definitely try to buy one that has been pre-cut, then just shape them the proper string height. But the chisels at stewmac.com seem to be $10-20 each, ouch! You apparently need different sizes too.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Chisels to the nuts? :shock: I think you mean files ... but still ... file to the nuts? :shock:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Chisels to the nuts? :shock: I think you mean files ... but still ... file to the nuts? :shock:

It's better than sawing the nuts in half, or a hammer to the nuts!

Wow, I'm starting to feel lightheaded :lol:

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I might as well not have pulled my bad joke off. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I might as well not have pulled my bad joke off. :lol:
No kidding; your non-joke is getting a lot of mileage on its' own. This is so wrong; funny but wrong! :wink:

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote