Airlines handeling!

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
12.5 K Views
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello! I just got my first electric guitar. It`s a Fender Squire Strat(ocaster) and I already have some problems. My father bought it for me and brought it from the UK with British Airlines. :evil: They kind of kicked the bag around in the plane and it got home rather damaged! There is a crack or two, there are places where there`s like an inverted hill in the body, something of a crater, but the black paint isn`t gone. And there are 2 or three places where I can see the wood. I`ve put some pictures on http://www.chitaristul.go.ro . Take a look at them and maybe you can help me out!

Also any tips for this type of guitar would be welcome. As I said it`s my first electric guitar, I only played acoustic till now so if you have some tips for electric starters I apreciate that too. It seems so weird to touch an electric guitar after playing an acoustic with metal strings for 2+ years, But I sure do like it. :D

Life is ours,we live it our way!

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I cant see the pictures but id call Fender and talk to them about warranty info.

http://www.fender.com (thats just a guess for website. should be it)

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Also I would suggest you complain to British Airways, send them a copy of the pictures, tell them how much the guitar cost - you say your father brought it back from the UK so that would be around £170+, and how much it would take to get the guitar repaired if its possible to do so, I dont know if they will but they might offer you some sort of apology and compensation, but they need to know that they are commiting crimes against guitars!!!

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear about the disrespect shown your guitar. I can't get to the pictures either, but, if the damage is only surface chips and finish cracks, it shouldn't prove to be much of a problem . There are a number of famous guitar players known for the horrendous condition of the finish on their guitars. People actually pay large amounts of money to buy guitars that are pre-damaged! If the wood itself is cracked, it might be more of a problem. Otherwise, just think of them as character marks. But get some compensation from British Airlines to put toward your amp!

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

British Airways cracked the corners of my old Apple computer about 12 years ago. Nice to know some things don't change.

It would likely cost more than the guitar to have it professionally refinished. I agree with Slothrob, as long as it's just cosmetic chips in the finish it doesn't matter.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

The pic won't pull up for me, either.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the quick replys! Indeed the damage is only at the surface! I think I`ll put a sticker or something. The Idea about complaining to the airline did cross my mind but I wouldn`t know how to formulate such a complaint... By the way I fixed the picture problems. Have a look! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Just ring British Airways and tell them that your guitar was damaged in transit and that you want a claim form. Fill it out and send it back to BA.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hiya Anubis,

Thanx for getting the pictures up, the last one - lol nice would make a great album cover, the damage looks repairable to me, you can order matching paint for squires off alot of guitar web sites it might be cheaper to do it that way than take it to a shop.

As for British Airways I think you should complain, seems to me that it would be obvious what was inside a guitar bag/case, there for common sense would predict it should be handled with care. I have found a link up to there complains department for you, if you click the after you fly options, then write them an email explaining what happened to your NEW guitar, I know it say's for UK residents, but since it was outbound from here it should be ok, anyway I hope this helps.

Pet

https://www.britishairways.com/webmail/prep_ukfeedback_en

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Wow, I just saw the pictures. I don't know how the heck that paint got gouged off. It was in a hard case? Did it have a huge puncture through the case? Not encourage, for sure...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

i beg you to complain.with what a ticket costs, and the disrespect passangers can be treated with, they deserve to hear your moaning. definitly complain to them!

please :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

LOL, at least I have somthing to laugh about before I get to bed! I'll moan like a bad cat,,,

8)

ReplyQuote
(@anubis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:D

I fixed the neck...My dad phoned from england and said he`ll get something from a shop there or something to fix the body. And I guess I`ll wait a day a two, till he calls me again and I`ll talk to him about complaining to the airline. I`ll keep you posted!

BritishAirways will perish before my wrath!

:twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

A hard guitar case will just about fit in an overhead locker - I always ask if the plane is full before checking mine into the hold.

It's worth asking your airline if they have a policy on musical instruments before you fly - some will let you put your instrument in the cupboard where the crew put their coats, but you have to ask.

I flew with British Airways once - never again. You pay a premium to fly with them, too. Their cabin crew were so stuck-up and obnoxious.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

A hard guitar case will just about fit in an overhead locker - I always ask if the plane is full before checking mine into the hold.

It's worth asking your airline if they have a policy on musical instruments before you fly - some will let you put your instrument in the cupboard where the crew put their coats, but you have to ask.

I flew with British Airways once - never again. You pay a premium to fly with them, too. Their cabin crew were so stuck-up and obnoxious.

Best,

A :-)
Hah sounds like Delta here in the states. :shock:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2