Clear all

Gummy Feeling

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

My guitar can get this gummy like feeling around where you rest your arm (right above the bridge). It feels horrible. Id like it to be slick so i can move about on it without all the resistance. Thanks guys.

aka Izabella

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have you tried something like finger ease. That would make it slick and wears off. Whats causing the gummy stuff. Maybe wash your hands before you pick your guitar up.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

He already said he treats his strings like crap and doesn't wash his hands, your a dirty boy Izzy.

Joe, I heard you mention finger ease before, there is only three guitar shops around here and I haven't seen it in any of them. What is it? What does it do? And more importantly where can I get it?

Pet

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Finger Ease Guitar String Lubricant, Faster fret changes. Reduces finger tenderness and smoothes callouses when residue transfers from strings to fingers. Finger Ease lubricant is very popular and allows you to speed up your fingering while reducing finger soreness. Spray some on the back and/or top of your nylon, steel, or gut string guitars. It extends string life and eliminates drag from strings and from the back of the neck.

Here's a link to site Finger Ease

joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

get yourself some lighter fluid and a microfiber cloth, that will get rid of the gummy stuff

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

LOL - Your there again with that lighter fluid Nick, do you have shares?

Thanx Joe :D

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

My lighter fluid has been getting some use as of late. Every time I change my strings (now every 3 weeks) I get out the lighter fluid. With a sock inside out, I rub the fluid on the back of my neck to get anything off.

Recently, a good country player had the back of his Tele sanded off from gloss to (I think bare). It felt better than my nitrocellulose finish on the back of my SG. It always gets sticky. No, not sticky, but my hand kinda has friction. So I'm contemplating having a luthier sand off the back of the neck. Or I can just keep using lighter fluid and wait until it takes the finish off….

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Maybe if you ignite the lighter fluid that would take the finish off :wink:

On second thoughts better not, it will probably take the neck off too...

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I had a bunch of stuff on the Strat and LP at one point, right where your forearm always touches the top edge of the guitar; not really gunk, but more just a dull area. I tried several cleaner/polishes but only got the stuff off with a bit of my wife's violin cleaner. It was ever so slightly gritty, almost like toothpaste.

What I'm waiting to try is the cleaner and polish by Virtuoso. A little pricey but it's supposed to get through all the buildup and let the original finish come through. Not much help with a black Strat and a black LP, but...it's the idea that counts.

Available at Elderly Instruments online.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I had a bunch of stuff on the Strat and LP at one point, right where your forearm always touches the top edge of the guitar; not really gunk, but more just a dull area. I tried several cleaner/polishes but only got the stuff off with a bit of my wife's violin cleaner. It was ever so slightly gritty, almost like toothpaste.

What I'm waiting to try is the cleaner and polish by Virtuoso. A little pricey but it's supposed to get through all the buildup and let the original finish come through. Not much help with a black Strat and a black LP, but...it's the idea that counts.

Available at Elderly Instruments online.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Here's the link to the manufacturer:

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

ReplyQuote