Amp Buzzing

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok...
My amp is a Laney, Don't know what model. The amp has a level control on/off and turnable to 0-10. When no inputs are in and I power up the amp I get a buzzing noise, really bad. The guitar wont come through unless I turn the level all the way up and the drive and the volume. I tried checking the grounds they look good. Brought it to my friends house and the same thing, buzzing. My 1.5 year old son kepps playing with the buttons, though maybe he might have done something...Any ideas?

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck, I would swim to the bottom and never come up. (Traditional Lyric)

(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok... I took the thing apart and cleaned the electronisc with spray air. No help.
The guitar wont make any sounds unless the level is turned on. Even when the level is on 7 and the the master volume is on 7 then it is still real low. Inorder to hear much at all the drive has to be turned way uo at the same time.
I tried disconnecting the speakers and listening through headphones and still heard alot of buzzing?

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck, I would swim to the bottom and never come up. (Traditional Lyric)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I assume since most of the Laney's are tube amps that yours is also. My first guess was a bad ground in the house but you ruled that out by taking it to a friends.

It could be a tube going and I have heard of tubes causing a bad hum when they are on their way out.

I would first check all the jacks to make sure there is no short in them. I would then make sure all the internal grounds are good.

If nothing is obvious it would be worth having the tubes tested.

Just thoughts off the top of my head sorry I can't be more help.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

I second the valve thoery, the only other thing i can think of is that you've really played loudly on it and ruined the speaker cone, however it's very unlikely. This wouldn't make a hum when there is no signal either.
for a hum to be produced in the speaker there must be some kind of alternating current being produced, perhaps the actual power source of the amp is unshielded, hmm. most likely a valve though.

ReplyQuote
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

what kind of costs are involved in the valves?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

When Preamp tubes need replacing?

They will lose gain over time, and will start to sound dark and muddy. Also, they may "tinkle" or rattle when they become overly sensitive to microphonics. Sometimes they also will have their filament burn out and not light up. the Filaments of the Preamp tubes are supplied with DC voltage. You can troubleshoot which tube is the problem by substituting one tube at a time in each of the positions.

When output tubes need replacing?

Many audible signs will alert you to this. Increased muddiness, lack of headroom, a sympathetic rattle in the background heard along with the note, and of course if they hum or just plain sound bad. Also, if they are shorted, they will blow the HT fuse. Sometimes the internal filament will burn out and they will not light up. Tubes can also glow cherry red in the center section, indicating either a short, or a loss of bias. When this occurs, make sure you turn the amp off and replace the output tubes.

Without hearing the amp it's hard to give exact advice. does anything above sound close?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I know very little about electronics so I took it to the store, he sais it was a solid state amp. I guess solid state amps don't have tubes? What now...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I was going by the idea that it was a tube amp. A solidstate is a whole different critter. That could be a power supply going bad or maybe even capacitors, potentiometers, to something loose or a broke wire or cold solder joint.

What did the shop think it was?

joe

ReplyQuote
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

the one shop did not do repairs, the second shop took it in...we will see

ReplyQuote
(@piano-man)
Eminent Member

Most Likely it is the large Filter capacitor in the power supply.

ReplyQuote
(@jonathan1987)

yeah my bet would be to check all the capaciters

ReplyQuote