Amp Issue...

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@handelfan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all -

I have a Roland Cube 60 amplifier, and have been playing it for about two years. It has always been a good amp and suited my purposes. For those of you not familiar with the amp's features, it has clean and lead channels, EQ, and some other effects you can add while playing through either channel. The lead channel has a series of amp models that you can choose from. I use the acoustic emulator quite often, as I play in church and usually close with something softer. (I've never really gotten used to the thickness of a real acoustic guitar, so I just play my strat through the amp, and it has worked nicely.)

I have noticed lately that when I play through the clean channel or the acoustic emulator at softer volumes (softer playing, not softer on the amp) I get a distorted sound. The initial strum sounds ok, but immediately after. Normally, it is crystal clear in the decay, but now its suddenly like I have a fuzz box or a blues driver attached. The other amp models sound fine, but they are distorted to begin with. I probably only notice it at the lower volumes because it might not be present enough in the sound to be audible when I'm playing louder.

At first I thought maybe the speaker on the amp was wearing out (though I suppose it would get worse with loud playing then?) However in church on Sunday, I plug the amp into the house PA via the line out jack and a DI box, and I found out that the distortion is still there through the house, not just in the amp. I figure then my problem must be in the electronics of the amp itself.

Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem with an amplifier and have any words of wisdom? For the time being, I am just sorta dealing with it.

I am where my mind put me.

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

I can't really help you besides telling you my (in a way) similar story.

I have a Cube 30X and it's a great amp. Ever since I bought it, the Reverb didn't work, I simply get a very loud feedback signal that keeps increasing in volume and strenght. The effect is completely unusable. This didn't worry me at first, but I decided to take it to a Roland Service Centre the other day, and the guys there were completely baffled by it, they had never seen anything like it.

From what they've said is that because everything's electronic and on a board, most of the time they'll have to replace the whole circuit board, unless it's something mechanical that can easily be switched.

So I'd say, take it to a repair centre and get them to have a look at it. I thought of opening mine up to check if perhaps a wire has come lose or something that might be easy to fix, and then decided against it.

ReplyQuote