Clear all

Amp output cord went out!

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey I have a quik question for anyone who is willing to answer!

The chord to my amp (the one that connects it to my guitar) has went out slowly, I'm going to buy a new one (no problem) but how can I prevent my other one from going out (or is it just normal wear and tear???)

Thanks!

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

A good quality cord will last a long time unless it is defective. Low to medium quality cords last quite awhile just aren't as durable.

It really depends on the quality of the cord and how you take care of it. I have a cheap cord that I have had for a long time and it still works. My everyday cord is a medium quality and I bet will last a long time. Invest in a decent cord and take care of it and it will last forever.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

There are some that they sell at the local music store they are fairly good quality and they have a lifetime warantee. The are about $5 more then cheaper cables but they have replaced them no problem everytime(3 times). They should have something like that everywhere.

ps. They dont break easy. Quite the opposite they last forever but I have about 20 of them so it really isn't too bad.

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

It might be worth your time to just fix your old cable. most of the time I have to go through and repair my cables about once a year. although I travel with them alot so they may wear faster.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

As a general rule of thumb the better cables will have molded plastic or rubber where the cable comes out of the connector. It prevents kinking and pulling at the connector, the cause of 99% of all cord problems (IMHO). The cheaper cables will just have the cable running out of the metal collar. I think spending a few extra bucks, quid, euros, krona, rubles or rupies or whatever for peace of mind and a cable that doesn't go snap crackle pop every time you move around is worth it.

There are those that will tell you to buy your own connectors and bulk cable and make your own. I guess if you have to run a 5000 feet cable all over the stage it makes sense. But if you need a 11 foot cable and the local shop only carries a 12 foot cable and that extra foot of cable keeps you up at night I think you've got bigger problems than muddled barre chords.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This may sound crazy, but I bought a bunch of Musician Friends cables just because they were cheap. I figured I had nothing to lose. But I really like them, and they are still all working 100% a year later.

Musician's Friend Instrument Cable

What I really like is that they are extremely flexible. They never get tied up in knots the way all my heavier guitar cables do. And I haven't had any problems with noise or hum, I haven't had any problems with them at all. :D

And the price. You can get 5 of these for the price of a regular cable.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I read the reviews on those cables. No middle of the road, they either work or the don't. Definately sounds like a coin toss. Heads you get a good one. Tales you don't. Buy 4 and play the odds.

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

how can I prevent my other one from going out (or is it just normal wear and tear???)

Thanks!

Most of the cables that I've seen* die are more from abuse than use.
Most often the break is near one of the connectors (within the first inch or 2 of the cord) due to yanking or tugging.
The next most common is from repeated stomping or dropping stuff on the cable. Or excessive twisting (does the cord look like a coily phone cord?)

* 22 years as an electronics tech, 12 of those working in radio and moonlighting as a stage tech.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

does the cord look like a coily phone cord?

Coily? Is that really a word?

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I think you pretty much get what you pay for with leads.Look for one with good solid moulded plugs and avoid anything with metal plugs or thin rubber sheaths over the plugs.If you think you need a 6ft lead get a 10ft and if you think you need a 10ft get a 20ft,as my wife says it doesn't matter if its too long just as long as its reliable.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

does the cord look like a coily phone cord?

Coily? Is that really a word?

It is now :D

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I read the reviews on those cables. No middle of the road, they either work or the don't. Definately sounds like a coin toss. Heads you get a good one. Tales you don't.
But at least they'll replace it if it doesn't work.

I bought a MF 10 footer that arrived DOA. I called them, they sent a new one next day, and didn't even want me to ship the dead one back (shipping would cost more than the cable.) So I took the dead one apart, and saw some VERY bad soldering work - a big wad of solder had dripped from the tip to the sleeve, so the signal was going straight to ground. Easy enough to fix, but it points out the poor quality control in the manufacturing plant where these cables are made. Still, I'd buy them again.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Never let the cord hang from the jack on your guitar. That's hard on the cable connector and the jack of the guitar. Slip the cable through between the strap and guitar body from behind, pull enough to make a lazy loop, and plug it in. The cable will then hang from the strap, and is less vulnerable to damage that way. You're less likely to accidentally unplug yourself, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

The best cable you can get is a George L I think, theyre about a buck a foot and 5bucks per connector but they are incredible. Ive literally run these cables over several times with my car *Dont even ASK How this happened...* ANd they work. they wear out at the cable jack sleeve thing but the way theyre made all you do is cut an inch off and put the connector back on. But it doesnt happen enough to worry, I know a few guys on the road 300 a year that use em and im told they can take some serious abuse that even im not capable of. Plus theyre the only cables I can hear a bar chord on my old Peavey with which means they must pwn cuz NOTHING gets sound out of that brick :D I think theyre close to 0 impedence which is why they increase sustain and tone and everything. Iunno, I sudgest EVERYONE try em hehe.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote