Clear all

amp question please help

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@unkl-l)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

First off I have a used peavey envoy 110 transtube with red stripe across bottom. Problem is when amp is set flat if I turn reverb up past five it make a real high pitch sound. If I tilt it back just a few degrees it doesn't do it I can turn it all the way to 10. Any ideas what it may be?

Playing my six string is very relaxing and helps me unwind!

(@unkl-l)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Nobody has any ideas? :D

Playing my six string is very relaxing and helps me unwind!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The general observation: adjust your expectations. There isn't any motive for people to help you except to be helpful - you're not paying for advice. Posting a question and getting miffed when there's no response within six hours is not reasonable. People VISIT this forum - posts are not continually monitored for your convenience.

The specific observation: you are getting feedback. It's not the reverb, exactly, but the fact that your instrument is starting to vibrate sympathetically to the frequency projected into the room by the amp. That sends an additional signal to the amp, which sends more of the same frequency into the room... and you get the high pitched squeal.

Because feedback happens when a frequency keeps making the instrument(or microphone)/amp/room loop, changing any one factor will change the nature of the loop. If you take your amp to a different room (where the acoustic response is different) or turn the amp OR THE INSTRUMENT in a different way (as you do when you tilt the amp) the acoustics of the loop will be different; you may experience feedback at a different frequency, experience more of it, or eliminate it completely.

Feedback is a fact of life in amplified music. To fix it you can a) turn down the volume - you have already discovered that, as it doesn't occur below 5 with your current setup. b) you can change the position of the instrument or amp within the room - you've already discovered that tilting the amp solves the problem; you may also solve it by moving the amp or the instrument to a different location in the room. c) you can insert an equalizer into the instrument/amp chain, and reduce the feedback frequency. d) you can modify the room; putting carpet on a wall, or even introducing (or removing) a piece of furniture will change the response of the room. e) you can buy a feedback controller, an electronic device that monitors for the rising amplitude of specific frequencies and automatically adjusts the levels.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote