Clear all

Another Buzz Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 tc5i
(@tc5i)
Topic starter  

I have a 2 month old Am. Strat Deluxe HSS. The bridge is flat and, until I can play a bit, there is no use of the trem. I am pretty new to guitars despite not being young. I was getting a bit of buzz that annoyed me so I had a Fender service pro check it and he found some high frets past the 12th and took care of them. strings measure the right height from their frets at the 17th fret. I checked the bow of the neck and that seems right. One string, the bass E buzzes from the 1st to the 12th fret. If I raise it at the saddle, it will measure too high. What should I check? Does a heavier bass E vibrate less and therefore is less likely to hit the frets, or do you go to a lighter string? Any ideas?
Thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

given the same tuning, then for the same "pluck or picking effort" (same energy 'input') and loudness, a heavier string swings back and forth (vibrational displacement) over a shorter distance perpendicular to its length. this is one reason heavier strings can be played harder without slapping the frets and buzzing. heavier strings can actually be set up for lower action than lighter.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 tc5i
(@tc5i)
Topic starter  

Thanks, that does seem logical to me. Today I will buy an inexpensive set of strings of a heavier gauge and switch out only the bass E. If that helps, I'll get a new set of the ones I like in a heavier gauge. Hopefully that will also help me decide what gauge to get. I am right (I am new to this as if you didn't know) that heavier gauge strings will be harder to barr on one hand, and have a richer sound on the other. Right?
Thanks

ReplyQuote