Clear all

anyone out there have a machine shop?

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

okay so I've got this really cool idea for a guitar trem. I've made several sketches and a few autocad drawings. personally I think that it would work and be really nifty if I could make one, unfortunately I lack the proper tools to make stuff out of metal.

so if anyones out their with the ability to machine metal within 1mm of accuracy and you'd be interested in trying to make this please let me know.

The neat thing about this design is that it would let you lower and raise the pitch of the guitar but still anchor each string individually, It is entirely non floating, and you can still adjust the intonation and height of each individual string. Also regardless of whether you are bending notes up or down It would move the string away from the fret board, unlike a Floyd rose style, so in theory you should be able to bend the notes farther. The other thing about it is it's designed to be very simple, there's not a lot that I can see that could go wrong with it. however I really don't know for sure untill I get the chance to try a working model.

so once again if you think you can make one let me know. :)

wherever you go, there you are.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I'm sorry I can't remember the site, but there is at least one online which do small-run or one-off CNC machining. You might try a google search.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thx dude
:D

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

E-mail me with some drawings or plans, I have the capabilities to do some machine work(Other hobby is custom high-performance Chevy engines.)

Looks like you're in Ohio,where at? I'm near Youngstown,OH, in PA near Beaver Falls.

Let me know!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Sounds intriguing, and possibly worth a patent fee (or the initial part at least)... let us know how it goes :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I live around canton ohio racetruck. I am in the proccess of making an autocad drawing of it, when I finish it up I'll send you a copy.

as near as I can tell with my (very) limited metalwork experience, all the parts in my design could be produced with a metal lathe, although some of the opperations involve clamping the workpeice in the toolholder, and a milling bit in the lathe.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That'd be fantastic - I'm just too nosey for my own good :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Afterblast, looking forward to your autocad, I talked to some of my other gearhead buddies and we are looking forward to this! We are all kinda tired of doing the same old stuff and really enjoy trying something new and different other than SBC head work. Three years ago I made a Stratocaster style inertia block out of brass just because I got bored and it turned out pretty good and I think I'm ready for something a little more challenging.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hopefully I'll be able to finish it up Friday. I usually have more time to work on stuff like this, but this week i've been busy getting ready for midterm tests.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Racetruck I emailed you the diagrams. they should be from [email protected]
let me know if you got them. :)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Steve, got your drawings and I'm going to look at them over the weekend, I have a small job to finish up first and then I'll start a prototype, I sent you an E-mail with more details and feel free to contact me anytime. Looks like its going to work!

ReplyQuote