Clear all

Backwards pickup

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So i just finished installing my pickups and i noticed as i was about to put the strings on that the neck pickup is in backwards (wired correctly, mounted backwards). It would usually be an easy fix because you could just turn it around but what effect will this have on the sound of my guitar??? Is this how Peter Green got his nasally guitar sound because if it is i'll just keep it.? I don't want to put the strings on my guitar to try it out if they're just going to be taken off again.

Just to be clear the pole pieces on the neck pickup are pointing towards the bridge, the bridge pickups are pointing towards the neck. They are both wired correctly.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I can't see it causing any damage, or anything. Give it a try.

The worst case, you don't like the sound, and end up playing with one pickup at a time until you decide to re-string.

Even if you absolutely can't stand the way it sounds, pull the strings off, and change it. How much does a set of strings cost, in the big picture?

That said, I can't see how it would sound unbearably bad.
Maybe there could be some odd phasing things happening with multiple pickups selected.

But maybe it'll sound better than the "normal" way.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sounds as if you put them both in "backwards" as compared to the trad Gibson arrangement, which is adjustable pole pieces for bridge pup toward bridge, and adjustable neck pup pole pieces toward neck.

In any case, the difference is probably trivial. There are pole pieces in the other coil of each 'bucker -- they are just often hidden under the pup cover and are non-adjustable. Should be just fine.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote