Balance

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Maybe you can give me a hand. i just got a brand new Carvin AE-185 and I absolutly love it. One small problem, though: It's a hollowbody design, and the neck outweighs the body, which is not a problem when I'm sitting, but when I play standing with a strap I have hold up the neck with my fretting hand to keep it at the proper angle when I'm playing. this makes it hard to finger some chords, specifically barring.

Is there  anyway to weight the opposite end of the body without affecting the sound? I thought about putting something heavy on the lower strap button, but not sure exactly what to use or how to do it......

::)

Thanks!
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What kind of strap are you using? Maybe try a real wide one, I use one thats 4" inchs wide it allows me to control my guitar at different angles.

Just a thought

joe

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just a simple run of the mill strap, the cheapest one I could find at the time.  ;D  I'll look in to that though

Thanks  

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd call Carvin and ask them about it. I've never played a guitar with that problem, but I know I shure wouldn't want to.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It usually doesn't take much to screw up the balance.  If your strap has a pocket on it you could put a couple of silver dollars in it.

A wider strap tend to move less and is easier on the shoulders.

Who put the neck button on?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

recently heard about someone with an SG (the original neck-diving, fall-over-and-snap-my-head-off guitar) attaching a small bag of weights to the end of the strap to counter this problem. drawstring pouch is a possibility -- you might even find something to match the strap.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The guitar came standard with two strap buttons, but didn't say anything about adjusting the tilt in relation to the body.

Would silver dollars (or something metal) hurt the sound? Or as long as it's not actually inside the body I should be all set?

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

i believe nick meant on the strap, not on/in the guitar.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

yep/

My guitar strap has a pick pocket on it.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

My guitar strap has a pick pocket on it

Nick,

Do you think I could get one with a bank robber?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Haha, no I know he didn't mean in the guitar. That would definately not be good. I just was curious about what would be the best material to use. Shoulde have worded that one better   ::)

thanks,

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Ive never had experience with a strap effecting the sound.  It doesnt matter.  Straps are for looks and comfort and balance (as well as the obvious of keeping the guitar up).  They dont effect the sound so as long as the metal stuff is on the strap then it should work dandy.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Ive never had experience with a strap effecting the sound.

Fender B-Bender

Try one of these - vibrato from the strap button

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Thats awesome.  Crazy!  Only works on the B String though.  Thats still pretty innovative and interesting.  Thanks.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I saw that B Bender thing in an issue of  guitar one, it seems like a pretty cool idea. Never used on though. They should design for more than one string.

ReplyQuote