Skip to content
Best Way to Remove ...

Notifications
Clear all

Best Way to Remove Decals from Pick Guard?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just got my first solid body guitar (a Fender Stratocaster). It's beautiful! However, Fender ships this particular model with two decals on the pick guard. The first is a small American flag with wording indicating it was made in the USA. Well, I'm happy about that, but I don't want the decal. The other is a larger, oval decal indicating the model (Eric Clapton) and its characteristics. Again, nice to know, but I don't want it there.

These decals are pretty well glued on. I tried peeling them off, but they don't come off easily. I don't want to damage the pick guard on a brand new Strat, so what's the best way to get these buggers off of there? Acetone? WD-40? Naphtha (lighter fluid)? Something else?

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Replying to my own post -- with a look of embarrassment on my face.

I was online at the Fender site, registering the guitar, when I saw they had a "live chat" feature. I asked my question to the guy on the other end, and after describing back to me the placement of the stickers, told me that there was a very thin, plastic film covering the pick guard, and that I just needed to remove it.

"Most people remove it, anyway. It begins to curl after a short while."

Sure enough, I saw a little "lip" of plastic, and it quickly peeled the whole film away. I did have to remove the "miniskirt" knobs to get beneath them, but other than that, no problem.

Now my Strat looks simply awesome!

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
(@factorx)
Eminent Member

Cool man. Those are on there so good its hard to see untill it starts to lift but just for anyone who has stickers that aren't on top of plastic coating. Rubbing alcohol works great for removing sticky residues and dries fast. Just peel the sticker best you can first

ReplyQuote