Clear all

BEYOND MAD.

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

GOD I AM INFURIATED. I JUST SPENT THREE HOURS tuning my jackson. THREE. I sat here from 3:40 til 6:40. Heres my problem. I cant find a perfect tune and have the bridge be parallel to the body AT ALL. I tried your guys' article about it here on GN about adjusting the bridge springs and it STILL doesnt work. I am CONSTANTLY fighting it. Its either the bridge is perfect and its out of tune, so Im tuning it, but as Im tuning it the bridge is SLOWLY getting out of wack again OR the bridge is to pushing inward toward the body (to tight of strings) but I have a perfect tune. I can NOT get BOTH at the SAME TIME and its MAKING MY BLOOD BOIL.

THEN AFTER THE 3 HOURS of fighting the bridge vs tuning tuning vs brige, my high E just busted right off and cut my hand open. And it WASNT EVEN TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was FLAT!

So now I have a 5 string guitar, with a bridge that is perfect, a tune that is shot, and I cant get the high E to go back on again it must have cut off like 3" of the string or something and I dont know what to do omg omg omg I am gonna BREAK IT IN HALF. HELP. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Im sorry mods, please move to "Guitar Repair and Maintaince"

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I'm not familiar with Jackson guitars at all but I'll assume this guitar has a two-point trem system, right?

If that's the case, take off the back plate and adjust the screws so that the bridge is sitting just a bit higher or lower than you want it (opposite of the way the bridge is moving when you do tune it) and then tune. With a few fine adjustments it should work just fine.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yes it is a two-point tremelo system, Floyd Rose.

So your saying that I should just make the tremelo set high, so as I tune lower it will be tuned and then be set perfect? I seem to think that if I raise it high I will have high tune strings, so I will have to lower them in tone alot and by the time its in tune again it will be back to to low.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Im sorry mods, please move to "Guitar Repair and Maintaince"

Done deal. :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

This is why I got rid of my Ibanez Radius, even though it was a beautiful guitar. The Floyd Rose was maddening. Good luck, it is a balancing act with a floating trem.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

If you don't use the tremolo too often you can just block it off. If you still want to use it, place a small chunk of wood, or 9 volt battery behind where the springs connect to the underside of the bridge (Between that and the body of the guitar ). Loosen the spring tension in the back till the string tension holds the bridge in place. The block should keep it "floating" in the same place. Put you new strings on, and tune them up, without locking anything yet, and let them stretch a bit and settle in. Once they seem to be holding tune, increase the spring tension till the block falls out. You can lock them then, but double check your fine tuners to make sure they have some play in them to be adjusted before you clamp the locking nut down. Personally, i would invest in a tremolo-no , or some similar device and convert it to a fixed bridge. But that's just me.

This guy actually placed the small wood block in front of the bridge piece, and added extra springs to clamp it down and keep it from moving. He also cocked one of the springs for extra spring tension. I wouldn't do this unless you dont want to use the tremolo anymore though.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

...place a small chunk of wood, or 9 volt battery behind where the springs connect to the underside of the bridge (Between that and the body of the guitar ). Loosen the spring tension in the back till the string tension holds the bridge in place. The block should keep it "floating" in the same place. Put you new strings on, and tune them up, without locking anything yet, and let them stretch a bit and settle in. Once they seem to be holding tune, increase the spring tension till the block falls out. You can lock them then, but double check your fine tuners to make sure they have some play in them to be adjusted before you clamp the locking nut down.
That is just pure genius. It sounds like one of those 'must-know' tricks for setting up.

Myself I hate tremelo brisges, I block all mine up permanently :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

I stole it from somewhere else. :D
Sometimes you need to buy an extra spring to convert it to a fixed bridge. Sometimes they don't have enough spring tension in there to keep the bridges from moving. I hate Floating bridges too. I tried trem stablizers, and all kinds of things to keep the tuning stable, then finally threw in the towel on them. :(

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Make mine a hardtail. I won't have a trem bridge.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok guys, Im going to go pick up a pack of strings today due to the fact that my high e broke. Any final tips for me as I start over? Im re-stringing, re-tuning, and setting my bridge again.

Thanks for any help before i get started.

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Just make sure you change the strings one at a time, and put them in tune before moving to the next one. It's real easy to overtighten the high E string too. It takes forever to get the strings changed on those.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker97325)
Trusted Member

Just make sure you change the strings one at a time, and put them in tune before moving to the next one. It's real easy to overtighten the high E string too. It takes forever to get the strings changed on those.Yes, I've heard that really is the trick to changing strings with a Floyd Rose bridge. One more suggestion. Take your guitar to the music store with you. Pay to have them do the initial setup. From then on you shouldn't have a problem if you change the strings one at a time.

It ain't what you play man, its how you play it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=401901

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

MM-

You need to learn to block the bridge TEMPORARILY while you put on new strings and adjust intonation. I've posted this advice several times, a some people probably will never understand it, but it is the simplest way to stop all the iterative setup tuning that you are doing:

1. Place temporary blocks in and around the bridge to hold it in the correct position (e.g., parallel to the body). This works best with as few blocks as you can get away with. I typically use only one under the rear of the bridge plate and hold it in place by slightly over tightening the trem springs. If you will be upping the string gauge, more over-tightening is required.

2. Now do all the work you need to do -- replace strings, stretch strings, tune, intonate, retune, and when done ...

3. Adjust the trem spring tension as you remove the blocks to bring the bridge back to the proper position. If you followed my 'single block' suggestion in step one, this merely involves loosening the trem spring tension until the single, rear positioned block just slides out with a little force. The bridge

4. If the bridge plate is indeed still parallel to the body, only a slight tuning touch-up should be required.

Learn to do this and you will love your guitar again. Good luck

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well guys something came over me today. It WORKED!!!!!! I dont know how or why, but it "just" did.

I went to my local guitar shop and bought some D'Addario XL Electric Guitar Strings and changed my strings one at a time, and pre-set my bridge to be parallel to my body before I changed the strings, and then after I changed the strings, I tuned them all up using "Cross-Tuning" and after they were tuned, they were kinda low and flat, but I screwed in my bridge springs and then made the strings flatter as I lowered the bridge. Then I tuned them again and it just all came together beautifully. I now have 6 lovely new strings tuned perfectly with a locked neck and a ALMOST 100% perfect parrallel bridge!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :P

Thanks for all your help guys!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2