6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just bought a project guitar. neat little neck and body, prolly from a teisco

problem!!

it seems the previous owner removed the stinkin truss rod and replaced it with a square wooden dowel. it's in there pretty tight and glued in perfectly, so i can't tell if it g oes all the way though, but im 90% sure there is no more truss rod. the neck is ramrod straight though...i think perhaps maybe there's a non-adjustable truss rod buried in there???? the square dowel is the perfect size, so im thinking maybe there's a length of steel in there capped off with wood to hide it. how can i tell?

it's also the biggest, chunkiest, fattest neck ive ever held. 've played a PRS wide-fat and that feels like a ruler compared to this. it is FAT.

what are my options? please consider my tools are VERY limited as is my knowledge of such things.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You may simply have found a low end guitar without an adjustable truss rod. Years ago you could even find a high end guitar that way.

What they did was notched the neck just like they were going to put in a truss rod then bent the neck until it was at the correct angle then used some hardwood with the grain going the opposite direction and glued it in. This comes pretty close to keeping it the same if they compensated for string tension correctly.

Now having said all that it could simply be that someone did something stupid.

If it looks like it belongs there is is not just jury rigged in then the "no rod" option is probably correct even if I didn't explain it right.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks nils, that seems to be correct based on what im looking at.

the wood where the rod should be fits perfectly, but the glue around theh edges is slightly messy. it either belongs there or the truss rod was removed by someone with some decent skillz. the grain does appear to run opposite. the neck does feel very very sturdy, which is why i was confused noting the lack of truss rod.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Is it a bolt-on or set neck?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

bolt on

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, as it is a bolt-on, then change the neck to something you do like. If the one on there is too fat and not adjustable.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote