Clear all

Brass saddles

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I haven't posted too much lately because I've been busy with work and numerous home projects (Guitar related projects of course), anyway I was just working on upgrading my one tele-copy and I saw a wilkinson bridge with brass saddles on guitarfetish.com and i was wondering if anyone really knew what the big deal was with brass saddles (more sustain? better tone?), and if it would be a good idea to get it. So far I've pretty much upgraded everything except the body (tuners, pickups, yes, I even changed the neck :lol: ). Here's the link on guitarfetish.com:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/3brsatebrch.html

The current bridge seems fine but then again it is a fairly cheap guitar.

Steve-0

(@steph)
Eminent Member

I'm not an expert on this subject, but from what I remember from my physics classes and some experience is that harder objects are capable of transducing shorter wavelength sounds with less loss. Since brass is likely harder than bone or hardwood (not to mention more uniform in structure), you would be more likely to emphasize the higher frequencies compared with those materials, and a slighly less harsh sound compared with relatively harder steel.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I really don't think it's worth picking up one of these right now, not until I find out if I'm happy with the tone with the new pickups or not. But thanks, that was informative and definitely something to think of.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote