Clear all

Bridge (not saddle)

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Is it possible to make a bridge for an acoustic guitar outta something like not wood.  Like bone or something.  Id suspect itd have some tonal effects.  Any thoughts?  Im just wondering.

aka Izabella

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's possible. My guitar teacher has an old Kay archtop acoustic. (Butt ugly thing with all of the finish off it, but it sounds GREAT!) Those things have a bridge that sits on the top, like a violin bridge. He made one out of solid brass. Like I said, it has a killer tone!

I haven't seen an acoustic with the common flat bridge plate with the strings anchored in it having the bridge made of anything besides wood.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jalma)
Eminent Member

An accoustic with the flatplate type bridge where the strings are ancored with pins where the strings go down through a hole. The ones I have seen have a very hard plastic material that the strings rest on. You can remove the plastic and insert a 1/8 to 1/4 inch brass dowel to replace the plastic, gives a very brite sound. alumumn gives a very dull dead sound.Nickle coated steel gives a somewhat britesound but not as good as the original plastic like material, copper is no good. a very hard wood such as walnut or maple gives a soft sound.

ReplyQuote