Clear all

Bridge Repair/Replacement

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@toodely)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I recently aquired an old electric guitar. Scratched and beaten but it still looks pretty good and I'm hoping to bring it back to it's former glory. Even though it's just a copy I think it would be a good start into guitar repair. (Without taking apart one of my own)
It came with all it's original fittings except one of the bridge bolts. I don't know if that's the actual name of the missing part but you'll be able to see what it is from the pictures.
I'd appreciate any information on the Bridge itself and the bolt, as I've no idea what type it is. My local guitar shop said that it was too old and I would struggle to find a replacement. Any information you can give me on the type of bridge it is and if possible where I might find a replacement would be greatly appreciated. If there is no where I can aquire the exact same bridge then what type would be best?

The top part.

The mounting part that attaches to the guitar.

These are the pieces I'm missing.

This is the bridge fully assembled without the missing pieces.

-Toodely

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

first thing you should know: you've assembled bridge incorrectly. the flat thumbnut goes under the bridge and serves as an adjustable platform upon which the bridge sits. rotating the thumbnut provides string height adjustment. the downward force of the strings will hold the whole bridge assembly onto the guitar.

second thing: even though old and inexpensive, make sure the guitar is not a valuable collectors item. some actually are, and in those cases, you would probably want to do a "by the book" restoration (correct hardware, no repainting) to maintain the value of the guitar. check guitar sites. post a pic link here. someone will know.

a similar type of bridge was once used on Teisco Del Rey (also marketed as Silvertone) and a number of low cost Japanese guitars in the 60s and 70s. Gretsch also used something similar. notice I write "similar." the center part with the saddles on the long, threaded shaft is the same, the post assemblies vary. usually these bridges were found on guitars with vibrola tailpieces (tremolos, whammy bars ...), as they allowed the strings to move over the roller saddles easily during trem use. however, some guitars makers with put them on non-trem guitars -- notably Gretsch. I recommend you search for the parts on "cheap(o)" "Japanese" "Teisco" "Silvertone" guitar sites. there are a number devoted to low cost guitars, and they usually trade parts. if that yields no results, then I'd either

(1) see if someone with a machine shop can replicate the parts -- these are very simple. you may have to forgo the chrome plating unless you want to pay a lot more.

(2) adapt a bridge from stew-mac.com or guitarfetish.com. you may have to do some drilling, but if the guitar is a solid body, it will be not so difficult to refit a bridge. hollowbody or semihollow is a bit trickier, but there should be a number of possibilities there as well. pay attention to the string spacing, curve (profile or radius) of the bridge and the minimum/maximum adjustment height. same spacing of the posts makes the job easier, but it looks as if this bridge was a surface mount, and you would need to drill new holes anyway.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@toodely)
Topic starter  

Firstly thank you for your quick and detailed reply.

Thank you for your point about the bridge, I thought it was a strange way when I got the guitar but now realize it was put like that to hold the bridge on while it was stringless.

Here are two pictures of the guitar when I recieved it:

I believe the tailpiece is one with a vibrola as you mentioned. Though my knowledge of these things is somewhat lacking.

I am now searching the internet for those terms, I will post again if I get any sucess. Thank you once again.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

your guitar already has had some of the hardware replaced with hardware store generics (ex., screws), and barrel knobs appear to be Gibsons (not original). the vibrola tailpiece should have a helical spring and arm to go with it. if those are missing, you should consider getting them as well ... or: (assuming no significant collector value) it would be fairly simple to replace the bridge and tailpiece completely with a surface-mounted bridge such as this from Guitar Fetish:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit.html

again, this would replace both the bridge and the tailpiece, and allow better intonation adjustment -- something the original bridge didn't offer. however, no more vibrola. each saddle is separately height-adjustable too. to locate the mounting area, just set the rear screw adjustments (intonation) to their midway point, and use that positioning to line up the new saddle positions with the old. mark for the five mounting screws, then drill pilot holes and mount. when the mounting is done and strings are on, the saddle heights and intonation can be adjusted.

keep all the parts you remove from the guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote