Skip to content
Broken pickup...Kno...

Notifications
Clear all

Broken pickup...Know nothing of electronics (pic included)

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently bought a used 20th anniversary bullet for $70 bc i needed something cheap to learn on. When i bought it, only 1 of the 2 selector switches picked up sound. I didn't really care since i got sound, i just wanted something to learn on. Tonight i broke the strings after about a month and i decided to open it up just to take a look and here is a picture of the guitar type and the pickup from the inside.

A) There were 2 screws stuck on the pickup (magnetically) that i took off bc i figured there was no reason for them to be there

B) I noticed in the upper left corner that there was no wire in the hole whereas in the bottom right there was.

Now I was just curious if from the problem is from one of the 2. i took out the screws that were magnetically attached, but i didnt want to restring it just incase they were supposed to be there (see no reason y, but just wanted to make 100% sure)

Just for clarification purposes when the switch is in the position that it doesnt work there is no noise at all coming from the guitar. jsut the "buzz/hum" of the amp

[Edit] I couldn't find a wiring diagram online so im going to hook up one string and see what happens

[Edit #2] I noticed my guitar has an extra switch on it that the one in the picture does not. I have read about push/pull switching from volume and tonal control, so is it posible that could just be a mod that does it with a selector that resembles rhythmn/solo?
Thanks for any help

plz im a noob

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

is the configuration humbucker in the bridge and single coil at the neck? Where is the switch located and what kind is it i.e. three position toggle, rocker, ect...

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The original picture of the guitar shows 1 humbucker and one volume/tone control and no switch. The picture of the back of the pickup does not show much so can only see what appears to be the ground wire for the pickup.

Since you indicated that there is a switch my guess is that it is a mod to switch between series and parallel on the single pickup. Since the 2 extra screws were left in there I can only assume it was sloppy work so more than likely one or more wires have come lose. Check all the wires and where they are connected to make sure they are all connected solid. I would also suspect the quality of the soldering so you may want to re-solder the connections.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote