Clear all

busted my nut

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wrytch)
Topic starter  

heh

ok i was changing the strings on my washburn electric.(strat styled guitar), and when i tightened the Low E string the side of my nut broke off...

is it easy to repair?

should my warrenty cover it?, and if not how much to get it repaired?

Thanks guys
-Rich

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If the guitar is still under any type of warranty I would talk to them about it, most shops are pretty good about keeping customers happy. If not then it may or may not be easy to replace.

However, other things can make removal more challenging. Like when the nut has been painted, it first must be scored and removed to prevent chipping finish on the neck. And if the nut has been secured with an epoxy or other strong adhesive extreme caution should be used as they are likely to pull up some wood with them.

Nuts that are inlayed or set into a channel require more caution and a different technique. Tapping one of these nuts forward to dislodge it could spell big trouble.

if you don't have the right tools perhaps you take it to a shop.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I recently bought a used Epi Les Paul that I think had been dropped and the nut was busted. It's not a easy fix if you don't have the right tools. A set of nut files will cost upward of $120. This is the one repair I decided I wasn't ready to attemp. It cost me $70 to have it replaced including a new set of strings.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

i would just get a new nut installed... i wouldnt do it myself, because regulating a new nut is a pain in the ass and i would end up breaking it with my limited patience lately. Small shops are better for this kind of work.

ReplyQuote