Clear all

Buzzing squareneck resonator

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@morrisminordriver)
Topic starter  

Hi,
Ive just bought an Ozark squareneck resonator. Its fine tuned to F but when I tune up to G (GBDGBD) it buzzes on nearly every string.
It seems to be from the bridge, if I press down on a string behind the bridge the buzzing stops.
Any thoughts regarding how to remedy this?
Cheers, Mike.
(PS it was an Ebay purchase so return isnt really an option)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

First thing I'd check is the tension adjustment screw in the center of the bridge. It pulls the spider down against the cone, preloading it to the proper tension. If it's too loose, you may get buzzing, the action will be low, and the strings will feel squishy. Tighter, the action will rise, the strings will have a much more solid, snappy feel, and the tone will change (likely for the better.) Too tight, the screw will strip, the spider legs will bend or break, or the cone will be crushed. Stew-Mac recommends backing the screw out loose (count turns!), and carefully tighten till you just feel a slight resistance as the spider begins to press on the cone. Tighten it in the range between 1/4 and 1 full turn tight. You'll find a sweet spot in there somewhere.

It's the most important factor in setting up a spider bridge reso IMO. Makes a HUGE difference in playing feel, tone and volume!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@morrisminordriver)
Topic starter  

Thanks for that Rico - I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out.
Cheers, Mike.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes, please do. :D

ReplyQuote
(@morrisminordriver)
Topic starter  

Yo Rico - you are the resophonic buzz king! - I tightened as suggested - it worked - No buzz in G! :D :D :D
If Im ever in Bristol - Tennessee then I'll be buying you a drink or two!.
Cheers, Mike.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Glad it worked!

That tension screw is really important.

ReplyQuote