Capacitors included with FENDER NOISELESS PICKUPS

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
11.3 K Views
(@mss876)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I recently installed Fender noiseless pickups in my 70's Classic Strat and it came with 2 Capacitors, one larger ORANGE one, that I connected the tone pot to the volume pot, the second one I have no idea what its for its shaped like this

--------------[]--------------

I'm getting NO NOISE, super quiet when the TONE Pots are turned OFF (zero) but when I cycle through the 5 selector positions and use the adjust the tones accordingly from zero to ten, I get some hum, not a lot but enough to be seriously bothersome.

Thanks,

hope you can help

Mike

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

first of all, nothing is truly noiseless ... except to marketeers. so if the noise is acceptable, you are probably okay.

on the caps: what values were provided? that may give us a clue.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Didn't the pickups come with an installation guide? My guess is the second capacitor can be used in conjunction with the first. I've seen tone controls with multiple capacitors... many of the Noiseless pickups come with new pots as well. Did you buy your set new?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

thought about this and realized you probably have mis-wired your guitar, as the tone would not connect directly to the volume on a Strat. this is the wiring diagram for a 70's Strat (follow link to pdf on Fender site):

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0137000A/SD0137000APg2.pdf

the second cap could serve one of three purposes:

1. it could be paralleled with the first cap to achieve an overall greater capacitance. (parallel capacitance adds.) this would increase the treble roll-off capability of the tone control.
2. it may be an alternative value to the cap you did use -- if smaller, the tone control effect would be more subtle.
3. it may be a treble bleed cap to be connected between the two active (non-ground) leads of the volume control. this cap would be a tenth or less the value of the tone cap, and when installed will lessen the (usually undesirable) effect of treble roll-off as the volume control is rolled down.

the reason I asked for the value of the two caps, was it can help determine which is the case.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@effectsguru)

Can you tell me the value of the caps? if you have one that says .001 microfarads, than it's for the TREBLE-BYPASS FILTER (which every guitar hsould have ifyou plan on using your volume control)... I can figure out what their both for if you can tell me their values... Lee me know.

http://www.effectsguru.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Can you tell me the value of the caps? if you have one that says .001 microfarads, than it's for the TREBLE-BYPASS FILTER (which every guitar hsould have ifyou plan on using your volume control)... I can figure out what their both for if you can tell me their values... Lee me know.

already asked this twice -- let's see if you get an answer

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@syoung)

I've had the same problem. Bought vintage noiseless pickups for my Strat. Local music store installed them. Didn't put in the ------[]------ (resistor) because it wasn't shown in the wiring diagram. Guitar sounds OK thru the amp but noisy when direct to recording interface (even with power conditioner). Called Fender and the rep emailed me the revised wiring diagram for noiseless pickups. I asked him about the numerous wiring diagrams available on the Fender website. He said the model of the Strat is irrelevant. The noiseless pickups have to be installed a particular way which includes both the capacitor and the little resistor that came with the pickups (one 220k resistor and one 680pf capacitor).
Looks like this one... http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdfs/ADSTRAT/SD0101000BPg2.pdf

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good answers (w/questions which are necessary) and welcome aboard newbie syoung.

We should have known which of the 3 available sets of Noiseless these were, no indication or news.

They might have been the 2nd of these 3, the original Vintage Noiseless, which came with 3 pots that had to be used.

http://www.google.com/products?q=fender+noiseless+pickups&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DACA_en-GB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=eBpxStChJ5XaNd6-mLEM&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote